IMHO if the weeds are doing that well then the soil can't be that bad
    sigpic
    . .......Man Vs Slug
    Click Here for my Diary and Blog
    Nutters Club Member

Comment

Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
      IMHO if the weeds are doing that well then the soil can't be that bad
      That's what I always sell messy plots on!
      Look how well the weeds grow, how lush they are!

Comment

When I took over my plot the commitee had used a brush cutter and just leveled the site which might it a bit less daughting, would that be an option snadger?

Comment

I agree with you snadger. it is a bit like giving people a big gym and swimming pool and just to make sure they can use it give it a humongous car park so that people can drive there without wasting too much time traveling. Doh! they do that already don't they. I think some even have coffee shops with nice sticky buns so that people can have a lovely drink (milk and four sugars) and something to eat to compensate them for all the hard work done in the gym/pool.

So that is the way of the world. Next people will want an allotment around June with produce ready to pull/cut and a plan for the next 6 years and someone to do it. Maybe an idea for a computer program so that no one gets wet and cold in the winter or hot and sweaty in the summer.

Bill

Comment

I saw a "company" on FB that offered to clear & dig over an allotment ready for you to do the planting/pretty stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              I saw a "company" on FB that offered to clear & dig over an allotment ready for you to do the planting/pretty stuff.
              I'd love that job !!!!!
              .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Set yourself up offering the service, Kelvin

Comment

Set yourself up offering the service, Kelvin
                  I wish I had the time VC - too busy with the male-modelling work at the moment.
                  .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Maybe you could combine the 2 jobs - perhaps model for a gardening calendar - some tasteful poses amongst the nettles?

Comment

Im on what is lovingly called a starter plot . on my site ( not a huge one ) there are ten "starter plots" which are roughly 30 feet long by 5 feet wide.
                      Ive had mine since may and only seen two other plots worked untill November when a few got moved on.
                      How many of those will still be there come spring i dont know , its not hard to just turn over a plot that size and yet people cant be bothered.

The idea of the "beginer" plots is you work yourself in and get promoted to a bigger plot when one becomes available.
                      Maybe people have the feeling that they will never progress to a bigger plot ( especially when some of the old folk work three plots for spuds lol ).
                      Still, a beginer plot gave me shedfulls of beans, courgettes and beetroot and a few other bits and bobs when i started halfway through the season, plenty to eat whilst learning. some just cant be bothered.

Comment

I'm really enjoying discovering our new plot, which was 6 foot high with weeds when we started.
                        We're now onto re-edging paths and digging over the soil ready for spring.

Our council offers some 1/4 or 1/8 'tester plots' so people can take on a small area for a year (for example if they're not sure whether or not they will enjoy or be able to spare the time for a larger plot), but that means they cannot keep the original smaller plot. However, there are also enough half/full plots that newcomers can choose to start with a larger plot if they prefer - most are overgrown, but offered in autumn with a few months rent free gives plot holders a sporting chance to get on top of things over the winter.

Comment

I'd have found it very difficult to motivate myself on a temporary starter plot as I'd have felt that I was borrowing it. Diving in and clearing my proper plot meant that I could start things that would take a while to come to fruitition as it's a long term thing. I'd have not felt so inclined to put that level of effort (or plant longer terms things) if I'd not be seeing the benefits.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

If they put the same ammount of hours in as I have, even on minimum rates, it would have cost me a flaming fortune!
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

^^^ You didn't take on an "allotment" - but a Scrapheap!
                              Your new plot will be unique but, whoever takes it on next may want a blank canvas too!

Comment

^^^ You didn't take on an "allotment" - but a Scrapheap!
                                Your new plot will be unique but, whoever takes it on next may want a blank canvas too!
                                Hopefully it will be a lot more lettable than when I took it on though! I'll probably have it until I snuff it (unless I get the urge for change again!) and if the next plotholder to take it on changes too much I'll come back and haunt them!
                                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X