Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allotments in croydon

i've got time on my hands, thinking of getting an allotment

i know of pampisford road and south croydon allotments nearby - can get to them fairly easily
    what i really want to know is:
    - how much time would i need to manage a full plot?
    - are other plot-holders generally nice people? friendly? etc? (especially in these 2 places!)

i don't want to get an allotment and find the other plot holders are grumpy old men or that i never see anyone down there

any other allotments nearby to me that are good / friendly / active places?
    http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Only one way to find out for sure - go down to your 2 prospective sites and have a chat! People wont mind you being a bit keen! Check who you speak to about vacancies/waiting lists (normally council, but they can be a bit rubbish!).

Time spent on a lottie? You'll want to be there all the time! It's our first year, but the half plot was in reasonable order when we got it in Nov. I spent an hour or two down there on a Sat from Nov till about Mar, and more since - I guess I spend about 5 hours at the weekend and an hour 2 or 3 evenings a week.

Comment

I looked at South Croydon before I took my plots at ASWLG. Its ok as a site got the railway on one side and has a shop but there were a few things I didn't like, mainly that they appeared to like rules: They don't allow hosepipes or bonfires you cant park on the site and it felt a bit cleakie and young and Hip.

You will want to go up about three evenings in the summer and one day in the weekend. As I work 7 days I tend to do 2-3 hours a night.

My advise is get the best plot on the closest site so that you can just pop out to do a bit of picking or watering. You don't want to travel for 1/2 hour to get to the plot.

You could also try Park Hill in Croydon. Or there is a small Council site in Cherry Orchard (13 Plots) but it is just 13 plots nothing else.

You may find that both Pampisford and South Croydon have no free plots.

We have 20 on our Waiting list but we are bringing another peice of land back into use and that will all be let as 1/2 plots.

If you want a plot start I would go round anve have a nose at the sites and get your name on the list.

If you find your self on a plot without a shop you can use ours for a feee of £1 per year. ts open Wednesday afternoon Sat and Sun "For all your allotment needs"

People are always nice on allotments and will always help.

PM me if you want any more info.
      My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

ok i bit the bullet and i'm on the waiting lists now .... about 15 people in front of me ......

Comment

Which Allotments South Croydon? I would get your name down on another couple of sites you can always say no if they offer you a plot.
          My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

i went for pampisford road and sanderstead - sanderstead is closest, but looks small - pampisford road looks quite busy - not decided whether to go on the list for south croydon yet

Comment

Park hill is worth a look its just over the brighton Road.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X