Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe I am missing something here? But moaning about less than 6p a week? Sorry but I can think of far more important issues.

Comment

If water is provided- maybe it's to help cover the increase in costs?????
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
        Maybe I am missing something here? But moaning about less than 6p a week? Sorry but I can think of far more important issues.
        I don't think the amount is the issue. Being asked to pay an increase without being notified previously isn't really on. That does need clarified but I do agree the amount of the increase is minimal

Comment

Life's just too short, int it GL?...................
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I think the best thing to do here is to wait until OP returns to address the points raised thus far
            He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Maybe I am missing something here? .
              I think we're missing something too - need more information!

Who owns the site,
              how long its been an allotment,
              how long NEM has been a tenant.
              Whether the rent has been increased in previous years.
              Whether improvement work has been carried out on site.
              How have other plot holders reacted to the increase.
              Is there an allotment committee and did they know of the changes.

Whatever the answers, if NEM doesn't pay the rent, he/she's likely to lose the plot.
              Their choice really. I'd pay up but ensure that it couldn't happen again.

Comment

Mine went up from £57 to £ 82 but think as it as 50p a week for the enjoyment I get it a no brainer
                When you have a hammer in your hand everything around you starts looking like a nail.

Comment

OK, here goes.

I'll elaborate a bit, if I miss some of your questions I apologise in advance.
                  I've been on the plot 5 years with no rent increase, no input from the owners, no maintenance except what we do ourselves (I don't mind a bit of maintenance). There is no water so everything you use you collect or transport. There is no security, unless you count a 3ft sheep fence and 1 line of barbed wire.
                  The committee don't do a great deal, maybe organise a bbq in the summer.
                  Yes, we pay in arrears, we don't understand it either but that is how it is. Hence my annoyance at the rent increase after the event. Believe me, £3 is neither here nor there but it is 25%. Would you not quibble if your rent rose by 25%? If you're paying £50 then in 4 years it's over £100.
                  My issue is only the lack of notice. The owners have recently sold off all the land round it for housing so I think I see what's coming. With 40 plots I guess it's a couple of acres at least. That's a few extra building plots!!!
                  Thanks for all your responses, I'll attend the AGM in November and see what they say.

Comment

Originally posted by NEM View Post
                    Believe me, £3 is neither here nor there but it is 25%. Would you not quibble if your rent rose by 25%? If you're paying £50 then in 4 years it's over £100.
                    Sorry, I used to be really good at maths, maybe old age has finally sunk in ...........how does £3, 25%, £50, 4 years and £100 all tie together?
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

From what you say it sounds like you are on a privately owned site. Given that the rent hasn't increased for 5 years and now is only £15, it's not much. It's a 5% raise per year. I'd perhaps ask for an explanation for the rise and for advance notice in subsequent years, but otherwise the plot rent is really cheap. I don't mean to sound unsympathetic but two boroughs across from me a half plot is £120/year.

You say the owners have sold the surrounding land - if they are the same owners of the allotment land, why don't you meet with them to discuss your concerns?
                      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I know it is easier for me to say as I haven't got a personal attachment but the landowner (from what you have said) was getting a possible £480 a year rent for 2 acres (that is not a lot) but may get less if you have site management and if they have just sold land for development then that would have highlighted that fact. In regards to yourself I would just check the future of your plots and ask to be notified in advance of any increases. If it wasn't sold with the rest then I would have thought you were safe

Comment

Sorry, I don't mean to sound harsh but as long as there are no development plans then you have an absolute bargain at £15 and that's with the price hike.

Comment

Here's a thread that may put your rents in context.
                            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ost_69355.html
                            If its private land you seem to be very fortunate to pay so little but that's how we see it as outsiders. It comes down to how much you want your plot really. Go to the AGM, stand for the committee and be an active member.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                              Sorry, I used to be really good at maths, maybe old age has finally sunk in ...........how does £3, 25%, £50, 4 years and £100 all tie together?
                              Bigmally: I think £50 in 4 years is only an example

By the way I see NEM's point in that it could be just £3 this year but it sets precedent for the following years.
                              If the rules are the same as for house renting they should have noticed with one month in advance. At least that's what I've been told.. correct me if I'm wrong

Comment

Doubt we'll know what happened at the AGM in November as NEM hasn't been back since the end of October.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X