No announcement yet.

Not enough local allotments

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding Allotments, I am living in France at the moment and when we go back to UK for a holiday I join my son on his allotment in York, hopefully I will try for one as my wife is eager to return to live in UK, I prefer to stay here for the peace and quiet, plus the courtesy the youngers in France give to their elders (I am 74), the litter free streets, the open roads ( no road fund licence either), but wife misses the language and wants to return to her northern roots. Back to beginning, I was amazed in travelling around York how many of their allotments were not being used. I started my gardening days in the late 30's through the 40's, Dig for Victory and all that and always enjoy growing for eating. In France I noticed all allotments here are immaculate and well used, the French have a flair for growing veg, even their gardens are very well tended, not a weed in sight.
    Good luck in your search.

Comment

http://www.nsalg.org.uk/page.php?page_id=25

Short explanation about approaching local authority to request allotment land allocation, as mentioned by Nick above.

We have a similar situation here - the waiting list is ridiculously long for the 2 nearest sites to my home. What drives me crazy is that on the closest one some people have 2 - 4 plots each, and yet they have this massive waiting list. The current chairman of the committee has 3 seperate plots, 2 of which are a tip, only the middles are being used (to grow competition dahlias in fruit cages) because the edges are so overgrown. It makes me SO mad!!! But what can I do? Just carry on growing what I can in pots and flower borders in my little front garden, and wait.....!

Comment

Have you tried having a chat with some of the people on the sites who's plots are looking a bit tatty, maybe they would share?They might be chuffed if you offer to help. Half a plot is better than none, and you could offer to pay half the rent, share produce, as well as watering & weeding while they are away etc. If you get talking to people and offer to give them a hand, they might well offer - generally allotment gardeners are a nice bunch.

Comment

Try a local farmer, mine runs a garden centre now but has some land at the side of it going to weeds (a number of acres). I noticed some veggies on it and asked if they were his he said his friend rents some of the land as an allotment. He keeps chickens and moved off his allotment because kids got in and killed them all.

So I told him my woeful tale of not being able to find an allotment and perhaps he had a bit of space for me and he said hows about 3/4 - 1 acre I nearly fell over he is going to talk to the other guy (as he wants to expand as was there first) and get back to me but it looks like a dream come true he even said he would help me get started and rotivate it with the tractor and give me any help I needed so it looks like I am finally going to get an allotment after all, not quite how I had intended but who cares!!!
          Wife, mother, reader, writer, digger so much to do so little time to do it! Follow me on Twitter @digdigdigging

Comment

Well done Elmo. All comes to he who waits.... sometimes
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

Thats fantastic Elmo!

I travelled around the locality last night to find any possibilities of land etc but had a very interesting chat with a man who has an allotment in my area.

The council seem to be allowing land to go untended and then use this as an excuse to get rid of the allotmants and build on them. It has alreday happened to one site and looks likley on his as well. You know what rumours are like but I am going to investigate further and try to get the local papers involved if I can

Darren.

Comment

Hi dwrudd... was going to mention the nsalg site (FAQ page) but others beat me to it! Worth noting that if you meet the criteria (6 people over 18 on the electoral role etc...), the council has a [I]statutory obligation[I] to provide its residents with plots - don't give up mate!!
                Also, found out about a petition to Whitehall to provide more allotments throughout the UK at

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/allotments/

worth a go.... Best of luck .

Comment

I agree with everyone. I guess I've been lucky - I got an allotment straightaway in Worthing, but when I moved back to Suffolk the council were unhelpful to say the least, but I found out the relevant person and pestered. I waited 6 months, only to find there were several untended plots and I could've had one much sooner if I'd known who to ask. I should've gone to each site myself and spoken to the plotholders, instead of relying on the council to help. But don't expect private allotments to be any better ! Many are 'staffed' by people who have prejudices (no women, no youngsters?) or are not up on email or answerphones. I left many messages which weren't returned, sent letters which weren't replied to ...
                  I applied in 3 names on 2 sites, and got all 3 within a year.
                  My advice is: be persistent
                  Oh, some lateral thinking:- try your local Freecycle. Place a Wanted ad for some land, you never know what might turn up.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X