No announcement yet.

Manor Garden Allotments VS 2012 Olympics petition

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i signed i think its disgraceful that they should consider doing this!

Comment

Anyone else notice the magnaminous extension of the deadline for plotholders to quit, from April to July.
      Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
      Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
      I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

who needs the 2012 Olympics it's only for 2 weeks and look who are suffering
        the people of london with the costs rising all the time millions & millions
        on the news the other day they found jappenese knot weed thats costing millions to get rid of
        and these poor plotholders probably losing there plots where's it all going to end

Comment

I thought that allotments are often protected by statute? Although, I'm sure not even that would stop them!

What help / compensation are you getting for having to move? I know it's not the point - but (as most grapes agree) the petition isn't likely to change much so the finer points like moving arrangements will need to be sorted out!
          Kermit aka Jade

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Comment

The Government is aware that this is a very sensitive issue and the decision to relocate the allotments was not one that was taken lightly. However, it is necessary for the allotments to be relocated if London is to deliver the Olympic Park for the 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games and the long-term plan for the regeneration of the Lower Lea Valley.

The current site of the Manor Garden allotments is in the heart of the Olympic Park and ground levels at the allotment site will need to change by up to 6 metres. These level changes will form part of the flood risk management of the Lower Lea Valley and create a natural area of reed beds and wildlife habitat. The area the allotments occupy will also be in the middle of what will be a huge construction site for the next few years and it would therefore not be possible for the allotment holders to continue their activities in this environment. It would also not be possible for the allotment holders to have access to the site because it needs to be completely secure.

The space currently occupied by the allotments will form part of a circulation and access area during the 2012 Games. This area is vital for the movement, safety and security of the public during the Games. After the Games it will be one of the key connections in the area, acting as part of the link between the green spaces of the Lea Valley Regional Park, Hackney Marsh and the Olympic Park.

Following the 2012 Games there is a commitment to reinstate at least the same number of allotments within the Legacy Park and all current Manor Garden allotment holders will be offered one of these new allotments. In the meantime the London Development Agency (LDA), which is responsible for assembling the land for the Olympic Park, is working with the allotment holders to try to relocate the Manor Garden society for the period running up to the Games. To achieve this, the LDA has submitted a planning application that, if approved, will allow the creation of new allotments within 1 mile of the existing site.

http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page11532.asp

Comment

I recived this e-mail too - looks like they are to go, to make way for the GREEN 2012 games.

GRRRR
              Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
              -- Alfred E. Neumann
              http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

disgusting

If any of the members of that site are reading this, as the chairman of my allotment site in Welling, Kent, I can offer you full support from our site. I expect every other site will offer you the same support. I doubt this is a defeated battle just yet.

Comment

The Official Reply.

Manorgardens - epetition reply
                  25 April 2007

We received a petition asking:
                  "We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Incorporate rather than demolish Manor Garden Allotments within the 2012 Olympic site."
                  Details of petition:
                  "100 year old Manor Garden Allotments lies in the middle of the Olympic Park site. These beautiful, productive vegetable gardens are due to be demolished to make way for a four-week footpath during the 2012 Games despite the land being given in perpetuity. A campaign is underway to protect the allotments and encourage a more imaginative Olympic development which includes this special place with its healthy, green lifestyles and vibrant community."
                  Read the Government's response here

The Government is aware that this is a very sensitive issue and the decision to relocate the allotments was not one that was taken lightly. However, it is necessary for the allotments to be relocated if London is to deliver the Olympic Park for the 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games and the long-term plan for the regeneration of the Lower Lea Valley.
                  The current site of the Manor Garden allotments is in the heart of the Olympic Park and ground levels at the allotment site will need to change by up to 6 metres. These level changes will form part of the flood risk management of the Lower Lea Valley and create a natural area of reed beds and wildlife habitat. The area the allotments occupy will also be in the middle of what will be a huge construction site for the next few years and it would therefore not be possible for the allotment holders to continue their activities in this environment. It would also not be possible for the allotment holders to have access to the site because it needs to be completely secure.
                  The space currently occupied by the allotments will form part of a circulation and access area during the 2012 Games. This area is vital for the movement, safety and security of the public during the Games. After the Games it will be one of the key connections in the area, acting as part of the link between the green spaces of the Lea Valley Regional Park, Hackney Marsh and the Olympic Park.
                  Following the 2012 Games there is a commitment to reinstate at least the same number of allotments within the Legacy Park and all current Manor Garden allotment holders will be offered one of these new allotments. In the meantime the London Development Agency (LDA), which is responsible for assembling the land for the Olympic Park, is working with the allotment holders to try to relocate the Manor Garden society for the period running up to the Games. To achieve this, the LDA has submitted a planning application that, if approved, will allow the creation of new allotments within 1 mile of the existing site.
                  Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
                  Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
                  I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

So, as one might expect, no matter what the people say Herr Blair will just carry on. His argument is good, well thought out and far too well written to have been by him! (Does it show that I'm sulking?)

I can't say I like the response from the government, especially as everyone knows that this olympic park will turn onto another millenium dome white elephant. After all, why make a stadium able to hold 75,000 people with a development plan that requires that it is altered down to 35,000 after the olympics?

On the (maybe) plus side they do seem to be offering to re-home the allotments, so even though there will be a wrenching change in location, and all the years of work to convert a field into a productive garden will be lost, the allotments themselves will be, perhaps maintained is the best word. The continuity of allotmenteering need not be completely broken.

I'm trying to talk myself into a better frame of mind, sorry if I rambled, hope it might help others to come to terms with the inevitabe change which will happen, no matter what we, the people, would like.

A shame that the government can't alter their plans to include the people they were elected to govern!

Ramble over!

Terry
                    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Can anyone tell me why they are reducing the stadium to 35,000 AFTER the Olympics.....I think i've missed the plot here.
                      I feel very sad for the allotmenteers of Manor Gardens. From the video I saw, for some, it's a way of life no just a hobby.
                      "A good gardener always plants 3 seeds - one for the bugs, one for the weather and one for himself.” - Leo Aikman
                      Lauren

Comment

Its an absolute disgrace. The land was given "in perpetuity!!"...not until the 2012 Olympics. If I was a Manor Garden Allotmenteer I'd be arranging protests, sit ins and the like.

Comment

At least we all tried. I agree with Egluntine, though, in perpetuity means forever!! What the h"""l *(sorry LJ) are the allotment holders supposed to do in the meantime - OK they say they can move to temporary plots, but what about things like fruit bushes and trees, asparagus beds etc. which are long term and don't take kindly to transplanting? What about their sheds, equipment and machinery?

Comment

Sorry to be political but there are elections next week!
                            The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                            Brian Clough

Comment

Shame on the Government

Anybody else recieve the reply from the PM which your PC put in to the junk folder like mine...?
                              Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

I will say this again you can protest ,petition & shout as much as you like if the b*****ds have made a desision they will do exactly (more or less) as they want
                                Posted on 08/03/07 on the vine (very important please read this)
                                The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                                Brian Clough

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X