Kicking off the plot holders

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kicking off the plot holders

Now that we have let all the plots and have a waiting list, we have started to "weed out the dead wood" as the association own the land there are people who have plots in the hope that we will sell up and they will get a wind fall.

So the dirty plot letters have been out.

Some people have been asked if a whole plot is too much for them.
    Some have been asked to tidy up and cultivate the plots.
    Some have been aske dif they want a refund.

We have had a few who are ill or the other half is ill, some have done wonders since the letters went out.

But the word is out.
    My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Ten years ago Nog it probably would not have mattered as a plot let was a plot let. However with allotments really becoming in-vogue and waiting lists becoming the norm, this thorny issue has started to raise its head all over the country.

Comment

New plotters on our site are only allowed 1/2 a plot to begin with, their plot is inspected after 3 months (probation) to see if they have made any progress. Only after a year are they offered another 1/2 plot which might not be close to the first. The most anyone can rent is 2 half plots.

Even so there is a waiting list over a year long.
      Digger-07

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right" Henry Ford.

Comment

Hi Digger - how are things over t'border? I agree with you - I've just got my first 1/2 lottie which is overgrown and needs a darn good sorting out - no probs! Only trouble is I'm itching to have a right good weeding session but the weather since Christmas has been awful!
        I went down for 3 hours on Saturday (in the pouring rain!!) - and Paddy the Chairman came across and said I had to take it easy! He's a real nice chap and very friendly and helpful, so I can't wait until the weather improves then I can really get down to it. Dexterdog
        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

It's been wet over here DDL. T'puddles are covering t'potholes in t'cobbles makin clogs slip everywhere.

Managed to get 2/3 of mine dug over now but the way the weather is there won't be many frosts to break the clods. Maybe I will write a post-global warming allotment book and make my fortune!

Waiting to get some cloches on the plot to get the soil dry but can't brave the wind.

Paddy is right - take is slowly and mark out a small area then you have the satisfaction of seeing a section complete.

Did Father Christmas bring you some warm socks?
          Digger-07

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right" Henry Ford.

Comment

Did Father Christmas bring you some warm socks?[/QUOTE]

Yes thank you Digger! Great recommendation! I've also got an extra large pair of wellies, complete with carpet insoles, with that and my socks - no problem!

I've also made myself some new, wet weather gardening gloves! My long, thermal gloves with a pair of extra strong marigolds over the top! They worked a treat last weekend I can tell you! Nice warm tootsies and mitts despite the pouring rain. Dexterdog
            PS No I didn't care what the other lottie owners thought of my bright orange marigolds! LOL!
            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I had the task of getting rid of a few and one in particular had three plots and they were just weed farms. I hate the greedy ones.

One ten rod plot is plenty big enough for me a fit 38 year old Poof.
              I would not take on another just for the hell of it.
              Benacre
              http://lowestoftnaturalist-benacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

I started with one that was infact a plot and a half, but then found that with 1/4 of it planted with plum trees and another chunk filled with strawberries, when I planted the garlic and onions and potates it was full. So by March I had nothing to do till september. So I took on one that was 4ft high in brambles and let the boy loose with the flame gun.

So one is now always Onions Potatoes garlic and strewberrys and the other is everything else.
                My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
                  I've also made myself some new, wet weather gardening gloves! My long, thermal gloves with a pair of extra strong marigolds over the top! They worked a treat last weekend I can tell you! Nice warm tootsies and mitts despite the pouring rain. Dexterdog
                  PS No I didn't care what the other lottie owners thought of my bright orange marigolds! LOL!
                  This has really made my day. Can we please have a picture??
                  Last edited by madderbat; 10-01-2007, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by madderbat View Post
                    This has really made my day. Can we please have a picture??
                    Despite Nicks excellent instructions regarding photos, neither me nor OH can get our heads round it - and anyway, I was on my own taking photos, so you can't see them on the camera! Just use your imagination! Dexterdog
                    PS this reminds me of my earlier posts when I admitted I wander around the garden first thing in my PJs checking on my veggies! (it is 630am and no-one can see me, well, I think they cant see me!)
                    Last edited by dexterdoglancashire; 10-01-2007, 05:33 PM. Reason: PJs
                    Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                      Ten years ago Nog it probably would not have mattered as a plot let was a plot let. However with allotments really becoming in-vogue and waiting lists becoming the norm, this thorny issue has started to raise its head all over the country.
                      i so liked ur poem or should i say ur saying about angels brought a smile to me on a missrable day regards bloomers

Comment

Thank you bloomers.

Comment

It is a problem, having unworked plots, whether they are paid for or not. They become weedy, ratty and unkempt. I like to work alongside enthusiastic friendly gardeners, not empty plots.
                          It would be helpful if Reps would carve plots up into halves or even thirds, because a whole one is just too much for a lot of beginners or those who work full time.
                          Good luck and persevere with cutting out the dead wood.
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X