• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jackie j View Post
    How about ringing every hour lol
    It may have to come to that

Comment

Zeb, I've had another email from the journalist asking if you want to do a story on this.
      * contact nick.cole@gsmg.co.uk , ASAP.

Do you want the allotments back, or do you just want to grumble about it ?
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Scunny Zeb View Post
        I have tried phoning Mr Colby Tues,Wed Thurs etc

I've emailed the leader of our council Mark Kirk.
        got a reply from his P.A. saying my email has been past on to Keith Ford who is the head of Neighbourhood and Environmental Services.

So I emailed him. He replied stating John Colby is the person to contact.

So I am back where I started.
        The mysterious Mr Colby must have an email address if he works for the council. Phone the council or go on their website and ask for it.

Comment

Mr Colby will be very busy at the mo inspecting plots

His email address is john.colby@northlincs.gov.uk

Ive tried ring him too.
          Take photographs today because tommorow you might not have

Together everyone achieves more

Comment

Originally posted by fran View Post
            Hi! I bet they wanted to sell it to developers.
            At the moment the way things are with the recession people aren?t buying houses and alot of developers dnt have fluid cash to be buying new strips of land and i would have thought the council would have been happy for the interest in bringing it back into use both for the local residents and also the income it would create the council because whilst it is in dis-use it is a dead asset to them

the only thing i could suggest is be persistent thats how i got my plot by keeping in touch with the council 's allotment officer and want for a better word nagging even willing in to put work in to bring a plot back from 5ft high brambles and it paid off in the end

Comment

Sooo Zeb, what's happening now??? Have you plagued the council, are you going to have your fifteen minutes of fame in the local rag?

Comment

Consider setting up an association and running it yourself. The council don't want to invest time or money into allotments even though they supposedly have an obligtion to. We've done it with a site by us.

The site had not been used for over 10 years and the council wouldn't reopen it but would agree to rent us the land with conditions. We were lucky in that we had a councillor who wanted a plot and did the liaising. There is a lot of meetings and red tape that he dealt with.

It's taken from October last year to get this far and we are far from finished. It took 8 months just to get on site! But we now have 20 plots that are "in use". It needs a lot of work doing to it and we are trying to sort out accesses and parking before we consider water etc. It's been hard work and a long slog but it is worth it. I'm still 87th on the council waiting list and this is my 4th year and the list is over 200.

The Allotments Regeneration Initiative or The National Society of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners may be able to help you.

Originally posted by fran View Post
                Hi! I bet they wanted to sell it to developers.
                If it was allotment land before, they can't just sell it.

Quote from the council meeting with our application:
                "to dispose of the site for any other purpose would require the consent of the Secretary of State and in any application the onus would be on the Council to demonstrate there was no unmet demand for allotments. In reality there are almost 200 individuals on the waiting list for a Council allotment in the area and it may be that some of these may be interested in joining the above Association"

Good luck and keep us posted!
                Grapevine Facebook Group

My Blog

Comment

well some progress to report.

I've managed to talk to the allotment officer on the phone.

Apparently there aren't the finances to put a secure fence around the dis-used site..IMO only the east side needs securing as the other 3 sides are surounded by back gardens

A few more plots are in the process of being created on the Buckingham Ave site.

The plots available sign at the Sommervel Rd site has been removed after my query.

Emailed the reporter bod that Two Sheds contacted, he wants piccy's of disgruntled gardeners waving forks and hoes (how do you fancy waving a hoe Tricky ?)

Comment

Good luck to you, keep us posted.

After waiting years for mine then happened to overhear someone who knew someone on the estates dept who got him one, I e-mailed, phoned and just kept nagging til I got to speak to the right person and got one in the end.

This was after being told I was 3rd on list and then all of a sudden went to " a considerable amount of people on the list before you". Soon got it sorted after threatening to see the council leader and the press. 2 days later had my plot.

Comment

Originally posted by Scunny Zeb View Post
                      Emailed the reporter bod that Two Sheds contacted, he wants piccy's of disgruntled gardeners waving forks and hoes (how do you fancy waving a hoe Tricky ?)
                      It's embarrassing being in the paper, but it can get results.
                      I got some bike racks put in at Norwich Castle Mall by going to the press. I was incensed because they'd built about 50,000 car parks, but not a single place to leave a bike, and I got told off for chaining up to the railings.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

name the place and the time zeb , and i will fetch my hoe.
                        Take photographs today because tommorow you might not have

Together everyone achieves more

Comment

Hello fellow Scunthonians!

I never knew all that land was there, OMG how do you hide that?! I live nearer to the Buckingham Avenue allotments but would consider travelling as it's not that far...

I'll come and wave something at 'em!

Regards

Clare
                          Hand-made Ratty Gifts for Rats & Humans www.ratanon.com

Comment

I vaguely remember some there used to be allotments along Normanby Road (at the back of Buckingham Ave), all that land has had houses built on it Not sure if the Bucky Ave. allotments were moved from there?

I'll give Mr. Colby, or his answerphone!, a ring on Monday & see what happens...

Regards

Clare
                            Hand-made Ratty Gifts for Rats & Humans www.ratanon.com

Comment

I think you should turn up to a council meeting en masse and ask a question.

Comment

Just found this thread, right that's 4 of us in Scunny, any more kicking around we can rope in?!

Made myself late for work reading this but will be back!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X