No announcement yet.

Dis-used allotment site

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't find your plots mentioned anywhere. What are they called?

I can only find these Allotment Sites in Scunthorpe

Buckingham Avenue
    Westcliff Avenue
    Healey Road
    Somervell Road
    Bottesford Lane (Wheatfields).
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

This site is on the Riddings estate.Entered from the north, down an access track on the eastern edge.
      Put in 'Asterby Rd Scunthorpe' on google maps if you want to see its exact location.

The Healy Rd site wasn't turned into playing fields in 2005, it is still active,

The left arrow points to the dis-used Riddings site, right arrow the Healy Rd site

Comment

well I'm stumped. The only reference to Riddings allotment site that I get is from a 1999 council document, which says how it was a place for anti-social behaviour.

I'd be very interested to know why it's been left unused for so long, and what the council's plans for it are.

"HIGH demand for allotments throughout the region has sparked moves to create new plots. North Lincolnshire Council currently has a waiting list of 133 people who want an allotment."
        I see you've commented about it on the newspaper's pages Zeb.
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 01-09-2009, 07:20 AM.

Comment

I would be happy to get a plot on any of the Scunny sites as most a within walking distance of me.

Comment

Originally posted by Scunny Zeb View Post
            As I an on the waiting list for an allotment, this is of great interest to me.
            Apparently the guy to contact is on holiday until September
            I'm tempted to phone up myself and ask why it's not brought back into use, when the waiting list is over 100 people.
            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 03-09-2009, 11:43 AM.

Comment

curiousity killed the cat and ive been to have a look.(it was raining)
              The site is missing a fence on one side only ,next to an alleyway.
              The rest is surrounded by houses.
              Looking at the site there was probably 100 plots on their at least.
              Take photographs today because tommorow you might not have

Together everyone achieves more

Comment

Tricky !
                phone them up !

Comment

OK, I did.

I said I'd heard a rumour the Riddings Site was being brought back into use (a little white lie ... norty step?)

the lady said it was "being considered" due to "so many requests" for allotments.
                  She was unsure why or when or how or anything.

You need to phone John Colby on 01724 297842

Comment

I've also contacted the local press*, who are interested in the story if some disgruntled gardeners are willing to pose for a photo.
                    (obviously I can't .... )

* contact nick.cole@gsmg.co.uk if you want to follow this up, ASAP.

Comment

Good for you TS and Tricky!

As I understand it, you have to get at least 6 other interested people to group together and lobby the council and then they have to provide land. Most councils say that the land itself is prohibitively expensive and try to stop you right there, but if this land is council owned, they haven't got a leg to stand on. With over a hundred people of the waiting list I'm sure you be able to come up with at least six more people. If you go to the press, this will generate interest, or you could leaflet drop surrounding streets to see if any body else is keen.

Very best of luck to you.
                      Last edited by Pumpkin Becki; 03-09-2009, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Driving past one of our allotment sites, this notice board is the first thing you see

photo taken today 3.9.09

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          OK, I did.

I said I'd heard a rumour the Riddings Site was being brought back into use (a little white lie ... norty step?)

the lady said it was "being considered" due to "so many requests" for allotments.
                          She was unsure why or when or how or anything.

You need to phone John Colby on 01724 297842
                          I have tried phoning Mr Colby Tues,Wed Thurs etc
                          I get put through to an answering machine.

Personally,I detest these machines, if I wanted to talk to a machine, I'd sit and talk to our hoover.

I've emailed the leader of our council Mark Kirk.
                          got a reply from his P.A. saying my email has been past on to Keith Ford who is the head of Neighbourhood and Environmental Services.

So I emailed him. He replied stating John Colby is the person to contact.

So I am back where I started.

Comment

They really are giving you the run around. Can you go to the councill offices and sit there till the person you need to see is available.
                            Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                            and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by Scunny Zeb View Post
                              I have tried phoning Mr Colby Tues,Wed Thurs etc
                              I get put through to an answering machine.

Personally,I detest these machines, if I wanted to talk to a machine, I'd sit and talk to our hoover.

I've emailed the leader of our council Mark Kirk.
                              got a reply from his P.A. saying my email has been past on to Keith Ford who is the head of Neighbourhood and Environmental Services.

So I emailed him. He replied stating John Colby is the person to contact.

So I am back where I started.

I'm afraid, like them or not, it sounds like you need to fill his answerphone up by calling him daily, if not twice a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
                                I'm afraid, like them or not, it sounds like you need to fill his answerphone up by calling him daily, if not twice a day.
                                How about ringing every hour lol
                                Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                                and ends with backache

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X