Allotment search in Fife.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allotment search in Fife.

Hi, I'm trying to find an allotment in the Dunfermline / Dalgety Bay area. Registered with Fife Council & the DBHS but I think the waiting lists are long, anybody know of other allotments locally and persons to contact? Many thanks.

Hi Jimd

If there are none and it's a long wait, see if theres a little old lady nearby who wouldn't mind if you did her garden for her. My dad did this years ago while he was waiting and they came to an arrangement that she helped herself to some veg as payment. We still had loads and when he got his lottie, he carried on with her garden anyway as it was easy by then.

Just a thought,

Nick
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Have you tried SAGS (Scottish Allotments and gardens Society) to see if any in area as they are currently carrying out an audit of allotment sites in scotland or visit their website and go to audit page and visit council will list all known allotments in Fife

Comment

wrvs

It could be possible to get in touch with the wrvs, as a volunteer.
        They may have people looking for gardeners, and I'm sure if someone wants to grow fruit or veg, you could use thier plot/garden !

Comment

Originally posted by coachman View Post
          It could be possible to get in touch with the wrvs, as a volunteer. They may have people looking for gardeners, and I'm sure if someone wants to grow fruit or veg, you could use thier plot/garden !
          What a good idea, CM (welcome to the Vine, BTW) - WRVS contact details here:
          WRVS
          Garden House
          Milton Hill
          Steventon
          ABINGDON OX13 6AD

01235 442919

http://www.wrvs.org.uk
          Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 19-03-2007, 06:30 PM. Reason: typo!

Comment

Plots in Kelty, Fife

Just after the New Year, a notice went up in local shops within Kelty saying that a number of plots were available at the Kelty Allotments. I have always wanted an allotment but due to me working away from home this has never been an option, but my brother-law-law suggested that we get one between us as he no longer works. After arranging to meet the council representative at the plots we are now the proud owners of "two" adjacent plots with the option of having a small area of land 5x24 metres next to us if we want. Unfortunately this plot of land is low lying and prone to flooding so I don't think we will be taking up the offer.

At the time there were many plots available and I know of one person who took "six" for himself to work. The council coudn't give them away quick enough but I don't know if there are any left.

To be honest a lot of the plots have not been worked for many years and are in a bad state with an awful lot of work required, many needing fencing to be erected on all sides. As an incentive the council are offering the first year free of charge with an annual fee of ten pounds thereafter. If you erect a hut in the first year then you have to pay a ten pounds charge. There are water taps available on site but placed a good distancea apart.

To some Kelty may be a bit far away but the allotments are only a mile from junction 4 on the M90.

Can't find the letter I received from the council telling me my plot numbers as this would have given the appropriate contact details for anyone intrested in obtaining one. I suggest contacting the Council Office in Kelty.

Been busy past few weekends preparing the plots, getting fencing up, etc. When I've been away my brother-in-law has done a great job of digging over the plots and the kids are having a great time helping out. Will soon have plants in the ground.

Sorry about the long post, but I hope this has helped

Comment

here's the website for the Dalgety bay Horticultural Society

http://www.dbhs.fsnet.co.uk/allotments.htm

If you become a member you can get an allotment. That's about all I know about them. Found out about them when I was in Dalgety Bay and I saw a man disappear down an alleyway with a whell baroow of stuff and I followed him out of curiosity and then I saw the allotments - they're nicely hidden away.

And here's some info I found on the Fife Council website:

Leven & District Gardens & Allotments Association

Allotment Hire

not sure if it's any use...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X