94th on waiting list :(

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BK
    So your not that interested in getting a plot then, Oh look number 95 has just gone through the gate wandering arund the site chatting to the site manager and other plot holders, whats that! the site manager is pointing to an overgrown plot seems like there is someone who cant manage to keep it up together "been ill/family problems" may be willing to let 95 take on a quarter of the plot maybe a bit more till circumstances get better, site manager sees how keen 95 is and when a plot comes empty 95 gets first call after all its better to give a plot to someone who is keen than just take potluck working your way down a list of people that may not be that interested init.

Comment

Originally posted by PAULW View Post
      BK
      So your not that interested in getting a plot then, Oh look number 95 has just gone through the gate wandering arund the site chatting to the site manager and other plot holders, whats that! the site manager is pointing to an overgrown plot seems like there is someone who cant manage to keep it up together "been ill/family problems" may be willing to let 95 take on a quarter of the plot maybe a bit more till circumstances get better, site manager sees how keen 95 is and when a plot comes empty 95 gets first call after all its better to give a plot to someone who is keen than just take potluck working your way down a list of people that may not be that interested init.
      I'm not sure if that was meant as a kick up the bum or purposefully insulting but I am interested in getting a plot. You don't know personal circumstances and I've been very grateful for all sorts of advice on here.

I also hardly think that I should be allowed to jump up 95 spaces, keen-ness or not.

Comment

BK
        Its a kick up the bum! and jumping places does happen wouldn't you rather give a plot to someone who is keen than someone who comes in two spadefulls of ground and disappear never to be seen again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bramble_killer View Post
          Put my name down for an allotment after being inspired by the bit of gardening this year and expected some sort of queue but just been told that the allotment closest to me (right behind my back gate actually!) has 93 people waiting.

The one next closest to me has 130 people.

The lady at the council said no one was allowed to have double plots on all the sites,and big plots were broken up from 5 rods to 2.5 rods when they became available and there would be a new site (which would be too far for me) soon.

Just got to sit and wait
          Hate to tell you this Bramble Killer, but I am 12th on my list now...moved up 2 in the last 3 or 4 years...a LONG wait.

Comment

as the letting sec for our site (self-managed) we let plots in order of application, its a pain though when someone wants a plot near their friend (the sites not THAT big) or has just moved house/changed jobs whatever and wants to wait a while...what do you do with them? put them back to the bottom of the list or remove them all together. We have one gentleman , he has had a laryngectomy and all communication was via email and he bomarded me with emails regarding a plot in the end we invited him to site and showed him the only possible plot a REALLY REALLY overgrown plot that had been used as the manure plot and is overgrown with brambles, bindweed, etc. etc.,etc he took it and is slowly clearing it, made all the more amazing by the fact that he is waiting for BOTH knees replacing and is in his late 60's. He got his son to strim the worst of a section and sits on a chair with a long handled fork and just chips away at it...that puts the rest of the people on the list to shame when they turn their nose up at a bit of couch grass
            The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

I'm 3rd on our village list and they tell me they only usually get one or two released a year, so I may have a 3 year wait. Been on it a year already.
              The other one I am 6th on the list and I am told they never change hands til someone snuffs it. Been on that one for about 8 months.

Comment

Dont sit back and wait !!!! put pressure on you local MP's they want your votes soon , the council employers dont care !!!
                Keep on at the MP's the mayor ect we have been doing that and telling everyone who joins our list (70 so far which is 12-14 year wait !) to do this and we have a federation of all the local sites and have just heard a new site is coming this summer/autumn !!!
                Just sitting moaning will not help but a few emails or phone calls can do wonders !!!
                We are self managed and our site manager is brilliant at keeping the plots filled but as Paul says it is so anoying to have to go through so many to let a plot !
                We cross ref our waiting lists now to prevent multi plot applications and we try to prevent having plots on 2 sites to keep it fair.
                GET SHOUTING at your MP's now !!!!
                Last edited by flowerofshona; 17-06-2009, 04:26 PM.

Comment

I have a local allotment thats about 30 seconds walk from my front door.

Last June i went along and put my name down, 19th on the list.

Last weekend I went for a wander along as I had seen the plot nearest the front gate had been abandoned for a while, asked where I was at and he said 3rd.

He's given the other bloke 2 weeks to do something with the plot and then we shall see he said.

I told him where I lived and that I was very keen and hopefully the next 2 above me don't want/need it and I might just get lucky!

Comment

LOL, some of you think you've got a long wait.... when i joined the local allotment list in October I was 359 on the list and when I checked a couple of months ago I had shot up to 335.
                    My Blog My flickr

Comment

Do what they do at Eton put the child down for a place at birth.
                      My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                        Of course it does.
                        However, allotment officers have lots of other jobs to do as well, and some are a bit lax at filling empty plots (or even knowing there ARE empty plots).

Don't make a pest of yourself, but look keen.
                        The allotment officer did get back to us and said all he really does is inform people of site locations and pass on their names to go on the local list for sites they are interested in.
                        As our friend has an allotment there already, we are visiting him on a regular basis and my OH is helping out a lot with fixing ancient GH's, fitting chicken wire protection to large gooseberry patches etc.
                        At least they'll know we are keen

Comment

I put my name down for the lotty that was no more than a 2 minute walk when I lived in the UK, as well as a couple of other sites. Apparently I was allowed to do this, and I would be offered the first plot that became available.
                          I waited for 6 months or so, before finally deciding it would be more feasible to move to France with a big garden and thus no need for a lotty.
                          Found a house, agreed a price, sorted a mortgage, and got a letter from the council offering me a plot on the lotty right behind where I lived. I had simply forgotten to let them know.
                          A lot of other people will be in a similar position, applied for one, but then circumstances change and they dont want one.
                          I know that you may be a long way down the list currently, but with a bit of "gentle persuasion" and a visit to your preferred lotty, (or 2) you may be pleasantly surprised just how quickly you move up the list.
                          Good luck.
                          Bob Leponge
                          Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

It is true madness!

Pressure needs to be applied to local councils as mentioned before - it is their duty to ensure there is growing space for people that need it.

All the wasteland near where I live - they'd be room for another 500 odd plots!
                            All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
                            For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

Just rang the council woman today and there isn't a site officer for each area. She goes round and inspects each area fortnightly. There's a new site opening soon so fingers crossed lots of people move there and I get higher up the list!! Loads of people wait 2-3 years around here.

Comment

Well, after reading all those comments I shall ring the council again tomorrow! Shouldn't complain, I have moved UP the list --- I am now 143rd
                                Someone has been kind enough to lend me a patch to grow potatoes, but I think their generosity is coming to an end. . .
                                The gates never locked on this site --- loads of stuff gets pinched.
                                It's nice and peaceful down there though.
                                What is this life, if full of care,
                                We have no time to stand and stare
                                . . .[/I][/I]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X