Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ouch...don't think I'll be getting an allotment!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouch...don't think I'll be getting an allotment!

Over here one with no cover costs £160 a year, one under glass is £360 a year!!! Ok the one under glass did say £30 a month so less that £10 a month, but still!

Think just the back garden it is then!
    Rachel

Trying to tame the mad thing called a garden and getting there I think!

My Garden Mayhem...inspirational blog for me I hope! - updated 16/04/09

Hi Gryfon,

I think Guernsey is stunning! We stayed in the St Martins area a few years ago and I'm in love with it.

I guess space is at a premium, maybe that's why it's so expensive? Are they standard council sized plots? Would it be possible to share one with someone else?

Comment

It is lovely over here...just a bit small!

I think that's the reason, although it's 21' x 65' which seems fairly large! Also I don't know of anyone else who'd want one. Maybe if we had more money I would, although if I show Mr G how well I'm doing on what I have here (when it's sorted) he'll let me have one
      Rachel

Trying to tame the mad thing called a garden and getting there I think!

My Garden Mayhem...inspirational blog for me I hope! - updated 16/04/09

Comment

It could be his birthday present to you maybe?

I'm on a private allotment site and when we initially went to view it, we asked if it would be possible for a half size plot as we knew we'd never manage a full sized one. They were very obliging, and of course the price was reduced accordingly. It might be worth asking them if they could offer you something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Gryfon View Post
          Over here one with no cover costs £160 a year, one under glass is £360 a year!!!
          A whole allotment under glass! I know you Channel Island folk are into growing tomatoes, etc. because of the mild climate, but that's just... I'm speechless

Prices do vary hugely with the demand for space - there are folks here on the vine, mainly in the north, that pay less for a full plot than I do for a third of one.

Comment

I know it sounds a lot when you compare it to what many other people on here are paying but when you think about how much you spend on fruit & veg in the shops it's not so bad! I grow what I can in the back garden but still end up spending at least £10 per week at the veg shop for 2 adults.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X