No announcement yet.

Unenviable task!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you've got it about right Snadger.
    You need to be clear: people must regularly tend their plot, not just a week before inspection. Highlight the fact that people are waiting to use the plot if the tenant can no longer tend it.
    Always give a deadline for any action, and stick to it. A follow-up phone call is always helpful, in case anybody says "I never got a letter". Failing that, mail a letter, and pin a copy to their shed as well.

Would it be an option for them to give up only half the plot, rather than hang onto the whole thing if they aren't managing it? Because a lot of people struggle with a whole one (say for instance if they are having temporary difficulties with health or personal issues), but hang onto it for grim death because they know how long it will take to get a new one.
    Good luck x
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
      must be a hard situation snadger ,but their has to be a fair system.
      ive often thought what i would do under the same situation.
      i think i would use photographic evedence to see if anything changes on the plot
      and allso a point system 1 no weed and crops growing
      2 a few weeds and crops growing
      3 ground prepared for crops
      4 evedence of work done
      5 weeds at ground level

This would give clear definitions that everybody would understand
      maybe we should have a 6 brambles 4 foot high

5 would mean a warning

after 2 warnings a date given to you for the plot to be relet

as long as everything is fair and everybody knows the system then i would agree
      i believe on the site i was on the allotment officer goes around with the site rep , ive never seen our site rep yet and i had mine over 1 year i use to go around 3.30pm every other day when nobody else was there but thats just me ,i wanted to be alone .
      i allso think that an allotment office needs to walk down the plot to see if activity took place , i started mine from bottom up which meant people coudnt see what i was done from looking at the top untill summer came offcourse
      best of luck
      Thanks for you input Tricky especially because of what you are going through at the mo.
      Good luck with your ongoing battle with the powers that be!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Well I'm a girlie and although you have the salient points bang on, I would have been a bit softer in tone - there may be mitigating circumstances....

I'd go something like this:

Dear Sir Dear fellow grower
        There has been a notice on the notice board for some time now asking plot holders to make use of their vegetable plots or lose them.
        You may be aware of the notice on the board asking for plot holders to 'use them or lose them'

We now have a healthy waiting list of prospective plot holders who would like to grow their own vegetables.
        the reason for this is that there is a growing popularity for growing your own veg, and we are in a postion now that we have a healthy waiting list of prospective plot holders who would like to enjoy the healthy lifestyle that we can have by growing our own fruit and veg

A recent visit by the Council Allotment Officer has highlighted a need for the Allotment Committee to contact plot holders who are in breach of the tenancy agreement and terminate their lease.
        This means that we need to make sure that all our current plot holders are active on their plots!

You have defaulted on the tenancy agreement now by not using your plot for its intended purpose and allowing it to fall into disrepair
        It looks like you may not be using the plot to its full potential

Unless there is a substantial improvement in plot condition (and this is not deemed to be just strimming weeds or spending an odd day or two there!) the Committee will have no option but to terminate your lease and re-let your plot to the next person on the waiting list.
        We'd like to see all plots being producively used - and this plot looks rather neglected. Of course if you are having difficulties in tending the plot, we'd like to be able to help - any temporary absence due to work commitments or illness can be looked at sympathetically, but with so many people on our waiting list we would like to see a substantial improvement in the condition of the plot - otherwise we'd struggle for a reason not to terminate your lease and re-let the plot to the next person on the waiting list.

The next inspection will be mid December giving you time to take any of your personal possessions from the plot or of substantially improving it.We'll have another inspection in mid December which will give you several weeks to improve the condition of your plot (or vacate, should you so wish)

The plot will be re let in January 09 if the stipulations for improving the plot are not met.The plot would have to be re-let from January - but before any temination of the lease we'd like to discuss this matter with you - perhaps you could see a member of the commitee on site, or call me on ......

The Committee

Just a few thoughts, Snadge.

Comment

Hazel
          I feel that your letter is less intimidating, and also gives the holder an option to explain circumstances, without being too soft. A good balance I would say.
          http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

[QUOTE=Snadger;308508]

You have defaulted on the tenancy agreement now by not using your plot for its intended purpose and allowing it to fall into disrepair

Unless there is a substantial improvement in plot condition (and this is not deemed to be just strimming weeds or spending an odd day or two there!) the Committee will have no option but to terminate your lease and re-let your plot to the next person on the waiting list.

I think your letter was pretty clear. Only one point I would make: You have asked for an improvement and stated what does NOT constitute an improvement. It may help if you make it quite clear what improvements you would expect if the plotholder is to keep their plot.
            Your idea of "substantial improvement" may be completely different to the next mans Make it clear and acheivable then no one can carp about it later.

Fi
            WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
              Well I'm a girlie and although you have the salient points bang on, I would have been a bit softer in tone - there may be mitigating circumstances....

I'd go something like this:

Dear Sir Dear fellow grower
              There has been a notice on the notice board for some time now asking plot holders to make use of their vegetable plots or lose them.
              You may be aware of the notice on the board asking for plot holders to 'use them or lose them'

We now have a healthy waiting list of prospective plot holders who would like to grow their own vegetables.
              the reason for this is that there is a growing popularity for growing your own veg, and we are in a postion now that we have a healthy waiting list of prospective plot holders who would like to enjoy the healthy lifestyle that we can have by growing our own fruit and veg

A recent visit by the Council Allotment Officer has highlighted a need for the Allotment Committee to contact plot holders who are in breach of the tenancy agreement and terminate their lease.
              This means that we need to make sure that all our current plot holders are active on their plots!

It looks like you may not be using the plot to its full potential

We'd like to see all plots being producively used - and this plot looks rather neglected. Of course if you are having difficulties in tending the plot, we'd like to be able to help - any temporary absence due to work commitments or illness can be looked at sympathetically, but with so many people on our waiting list we would like to see a substantial improvement in the condition of the plot - otherwise we'd struggle for a reason not to terminate your lease and re-let the plot to the next person on the waiting list.

The next inspection will be mid December giving you time to take any of your personal possessions from the plot or of substantially improving it.We'll have another inspection in mid December which will give you several weeks to improve the condition of your plot (or vacate, should you so wish)

The plot will be re let in January 09 if the stipulations for improving the plot are not met.The plot would have to be re-let from January - but before any temination of the lease we'd like to discuss this matter with you - perhaps you could see a member of the commitee on site, or call me on ......

The Committee

Just a few thoughts, Snadge.
              Thanks Hazel...............the carrot or the whip springs to mind!
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

[quote=FionaH;308619]
                Originally posted by Snadger View Post

I think your letter was pretty clear. Only one point I would make: You have asked for an improvement and stated what does NOT constitute an improvement. It may help if you make it quite clear what improvements you would expect if the plotholder is to keep their plot.
                Your idea of "substantial improvement" may be completely different to the next mans Make it clear and acheivable then no one can carp about it later.

Fi
                Thanks Fi.............this letter writing lark is a bit more problematical than I first envisaged!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by digthatchick View Post
                  Hazel
                  I feel that your letter is less intimidating, and also gives the holder an option to explain circumstances, without being too soft. A good balance I would say.
                  Not wishy washy then? I AM trying to intimidate him into either utilise his plot properly or give it up!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

snadge yours is fine, just add a bit more about what improving it means.

its not a request, its a notice to comply.
                    Vive Le Revolution!!!
                    'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                    Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

I reckon that your letter will be going to one of three categories of people:

1 Hasn't been there for ages - plot is a chore/fad - don't really care whether they have it or not.

In this instance, it doesn't matter what you write, or how direct or not you are - it's not going to make them tend the plot, you are just giving them notice of what you are going to do.

2 Hasn't been there for ages although they intend to - illness in the family, extra shifts at work or they've not been well etc etc.

In this instance, be nice - there but for the grace of god go any of us. If your tenant has a reason for the plot being a bit manky, then all they need is a 'working party'/volunteer from the waiting list to bring it back into order. It would be great if all tenants would think 'oh I must tell the allotment commitee that I have a bad back and not be at the allotment for the next 10 wks in case my allotment falls into an unacceptable level of weediness', but that is not realisitically going to happen.

3 Hasn't been there for ages because of life generally getting in the way.

In this instance you letter is a boot up the wotsit to get on with it - no reason why you can't be nice about it tho' - as long as the facts are laid out clearly.

I think that Tricky would agree, it's all about communication!

Comment

One of the plot holders has a bit of a history of being told to tidy his plot.........sends another bloke down with a strimmer, digs a bit and is never seen again for 3 month!
                        The committee are at there wits end with him and just want rid. To crown it all his plot is next to the main gate so it gives a bad impression of the whole site!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

One of the plot holders has a bit of a history of being told to tidy his plot.........sends another bloke down with a strimmer, digs a bit and is never seen again for 3 month!
                          The committee are at there wits end with him and just want rid. To crown it all his plot is next to the main gate so it gives a bad impression of the whole site!
                          In that case, he's had his chances - he falls into my category 1 - send your letter & hand keys to new tenant 01/01/09

Comment

Tough job Snadger, but you're right - it does have to be done! I'd just add a little bit saying to contact you if there are any genuine reasons for non-cultivation so that you can consider other options (like giving up half the plot, or sharing with someone on the list). Good luck, and don't feel badly about it - we all know you to be a fair sort of a bloke

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                              Tough job Snadger, but you're right - it does have to be done! I'd just add a little bit saying to contact you if there are any genuine reasons for non-cultivation so that you can consider other options (like giving up half the plot, or sharing with someone on the list). Good luck, and don't feel badly about it - we all know you to be a fair sort of a bloke
                              If you choose to do this whatever you do dont give your landline number! You dont need irate lottie holders phoning you at midnight!
                              WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

If anyone has a history of warnings, then I think you should make it clear that a short burst of activity does not meet the requirements. Set a limit to the number you issue, e.g 3 strikes and you're out.
                                I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                                Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X