Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.5 rods is more of a quarter plot. It's approximately 60 square metres if that helps to visualise it. If you look at both plots consider the long term benefits of one over the other, e.g how near to any water supply, is either shaded by trees or hedges. Sounds like you've thought of how to manage it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicola.P View Post
      I was thinking of a couple of fruit trees (I imagine these would need to be in pots) and a section for a herb garden and then potatoes and carrots to start?
      Trees would be happier in the ground unless your soil isn't right for them, just consider carefully where you position them.

Potatoes are great for starting off a plot as they loosen the ground for you meaning less digging!

Consider what you like to eat, what's easy to get started with, and what's pricey/not available in the shops.

Comment

Down south many allotments don't allow fruit tree planting- in which case plant in a pot with big holes in the bottom for roots to escape into the soil.
        It's cheating but nobody has to know

Comment

Grats. Definitely give it a go, it would be horrendous to wait another 6 years if you change your mind. The first year is usually the hardest and most time consuming as you are learning and trying to get it how you want. But it does sound like you can be realistic with it.

Good luck and keep us posted

Comment

Thank you all for your encouraging replies.
            I got the impression that I won't get to choose between the plots and that one will just be allocated to me, I also got the impression that they are 2 full size plots, one in good condition and one that needs a bit of work that are being divided into smaller plots and that is why I don't get it until Feb.

I did try growing vegetables in my garden one year but it was a constant battle to keep my pet rabbits (we had 4) out of the veg plot and in the end the bunnies won.

I didn't do too well with the potatoes, they went all scabby (I grew them in bags)
            but I did really well with green beans, leeks, carrots, swede, turnips and beetroot so I am thinking of starting with those again along with another go with potatoes but in the ground this time.

I wasn't sure on the rules of planting trees, I just assumed trees would have to be in a pot so they aren't too hard to dig out should I give the plot up? I will plant them in the ground if I can.

I think I am going to wait until I see the plot so I can try and plan it out a bit before I start buying anything. I have read before about the 3 bed system so will try and plan around that.

My boyfriend hates gardening and has already said I am on my own so I am a little daunted but glad it is only a small plot.

Comment

Congrats on your new lottie!

Just make sure you have some folding chairs and make a small BBQ, and you'll not be able to drag him away at weekends once the better weather arrives
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Don't forget to take photos - we lurve photos

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                  Down south many allotments don't allow fruit tree planting
                  I didn't know that I'm not allowed livestock or bees but anything else goes.

I was offered another plot on national trust managed land a few months before my council one. It was far more expensive, I wasn't allowed a shed nor greenhouse and there was no water on site. And there was rabbits galore. Oh and it had been fallow for years. Glad I held out for mine now
                  Last edited by Bohobumble; 15-01-2015, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X