Creating a community garden/allotments

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a community garden/allotments

Hi there this is my first posting. I live in a rural village with no council owned land, it is all old aristocratic land owners. I proposed a community food growing idea to the village in July and the local lord has offered us some land currently used as pasture with a right of way through it. I am just wondering whether there is anyone else who has started such a project from scratch using these forums. We have a working party and had a meeting where over 40 families said they were interested. We now have to form some kind of association, look into funding and learn how to transform this huge chunk of field into food and more.
    I can learn from lots in here about individual plots and lots of that is transferable to our big project. Anyway I look forward to hearing from you and will keep you all posted about our experience. Thanks

Welcome Digger.

What a wonderful opportunity! Who is your Lord?

Make sure you don't block that right of way, and that it's clearly marked or you'll have ramblers all over your veggie plots
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

and photos, lots of photos of your progress.

also you might consider get in touch with HFW through his site, he is into all these community growing projects, there may be some useful advice on there.
      Vive Le Revolution!!!
      'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
      Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

I'd ask the society of allotment holders (not sure of their real name) for advice about setting up a society - they will be happy to advise and it will make sure that the landowner and you are both protected. Make sure there is a notice period if he wants his land back, as well, otherwise you could be left with half-grown things if he (or any new owner in 20+ years time) asks you to vacate in a hurry.

Definitely mark the right of way clearly.

Good luck with it - it sounds a fantastic project!
        ---
        Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Comment

A kick start to funding could be the Awards for All from the Lottery. Very easy application to fill in and up to £10k per application. There are lots of other funders out there for this type of thing, including the Landfill Tax grants for environmental improvements of you are (I think) within 10 miles from a landfill site, again easy application and quite big awards. If you have a local CVS (community and voluntary sector) organisation in your locaity, would be worth contacting them to get a low down on the many funders that are out there to support projects such as these. They also sometimes have small grants pots they can award to group. Mind first step is to get your group constitued and your committee/board appointed - The first application is always the hardest, many a night spent devising a project brief and completing a funding application whilst burning the midnight oil. But don't despair, once you've done it, there can be lots of cutting and pasting and with perseverance you'll get there - good luck!!
          'May your cattle never wander and your crops never fail'

Comment

Contact The National Society of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners, NSALG, Allotments, protect, promote, preserve, grow your own they can give you some helpful advice,.

Who is the lord? Good luck, just need a bit of good weather to get going.
            Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

Ooh and sorry!

If you do have a CVS type organisation, they are often funded by the Government to support and advise groups for free on setting up their groups, developing their constitution and agreeing ther terms of reference - your local Council will be able to give you details of where your nearest group is
              'May your cattle never wander and your crops never fail'

Comment

Allotment government pages
                Allotments: A Plot Holders' Guide - Communities and neighbourhoods - Communities and Local Government
                helpful downloadable pdf:
                http://www.communities.gov.uk/docume...pdf/131012.pdf
                years ago I helped to set up alotments and what I did was go to the nearist council office and asked for the phone number of the closest allotments officer; from him I was able to get intouch with the commitee of the local alotment association.
                you should be able to do the same (only nowadays I reckon you could just use U'r computer & visit the web-site of any Council within your county & and type allotment into the search engine of thier website. I tried this here in Luton and found all the contact details in 5 mins - I suggest you find a Council close to where you'r situated with a significantly built-up area as they are more than likely to have allotments)

Comment

I meant to mention:

you'll find the following publication helpful:

Growing in the community: a good guide for the management of allotments
                  it was published 2001 Greater London Authority & U can get it from:
                  IDeA Publication Sales, Layden House, 76/86 Turnmill Street, London, EC1M 5LG. (Tel: 020 7296 6600 U tell them U what U want & U must quote EN012).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X