No announcement yet.

Is The Law Different In Scotland ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snohare, I'm in Perthshire. I've just received some information from the Council saying if more than 6 people register an interest in having an allotment they are obliged to do something about it. I grow in my own garden so I'm not interested, but if you are, then get on the phone to your Council.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

WOW ! That is very good news for me if it is what the legislation says, Alice ! Can you tell me, what exactly does the council say ? I am wondering if this is just a council "best practice" policy, or whether it is a statutory requirement as it is in England. (To pressure the council here, I think I am likely to need to know the actual regulation or Act so I can quote it.)
      Getting on the blower to the Council is not as easy as it sounds. My phone line just got "slammed" by telecom pirates, so in effect I have just £5 a week of mobile credit and minutes snatched online on borrowed computers to organise things. Being without a landline sounds peaceful but it is driving me bananas !
      There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

What a shame about your landline Snohare, hope it get's sorted soon.
        I'm sorry I disposed of the notice but I'm sure it said the Council had a statutory duty to take the provision of allotments into consideration if they received requests in writing from 6 registered electors. I think the legistion was The Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908.
        There are notices about it pinned up in the PO etc so I'll check exactly what it said and let you know in the next few days.
        Good luck with the quest.

Comment

SAGS (scottish Allotments and Gardens Society) may be a useful site - has a page about the Scottish legislation:

http://www.sags.org.uk/docs/legal/Sc...egislation.pdf

good luck.

Comment

I've got a hold of the notice Snohare and it doesn't add much to what has already been said.What it says is if the Council believes there is a demand for allotments they have a statutory duty to provide a sufficient quantity of plots to let to people. But we all know that doesn't happen. It's definitely worth your while getting in contact with the Council and organising your 6 electors to register your interest. Good luck and hope it happens soon for you.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X