Here we go!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here we go!

Just about to register my interest so that our village (or is it a small town?) can try to resurrect the allotment site that used to exist. Picked up a form from the garden centre up the road which basically says if more than 6 people in the community request an allotment, the council must provide them.

Fingers crossed....
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Oh good luck Shirley - Can I register my interest from France?
    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

LOL, the choices for travelling distance might pose a problem!

1. must be within walkign distance of my home (within quarter of a mile)
      2. willing to drive (or cycle) 1 mile from my home
      3. willing to drive or cycle between 1 and 3 miles from my home
      4 willing to drive or cycle more than 3 miles from my home

Then again, our neighbour's house is for sale - so you could move
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
        LOL, the choices for travelling distance might pose a problem!

Then again, our neighbour's house is for sale - so you could move
        Strangely enough, I (unusually) bought a lottery ticket today so... you never know
        A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

If your neighbour's house is up for sale, Scarey, and Shirley won the lottery then she and madmax and the boys could move to France, and Shirley could grow veg to her heart's content...

Comment

Good luck Shirl. Whip up some leaflets, put signs in newsagents, write a letter to the local rag ... you'll easily get 6 people
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've done the same thing here in Helston but not sure yet if six residents have written in. I know of four so far, the frustrating thing is there's been several grapevine members interested but they all seem to have now disappeared.

Helston town clerk says the ruling is that if 6 requests come in they have to 'consider' providing allotments, I didn't get the impression it was an absolute 'must' provide.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed though
              Last edited by SMS6; 30-08-2008, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
                Strangely enough, I (unusually) bought a lottery ticket today so... you never know
                Fingers crossed then

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                If your neighbour's house is up for sale, Scarey, and Shirley won the lottery then she and madmax and the boys could move to France, and Shirley could grow veg to her heart's content...
                Nice thought Hazel but I wouldn't move to France no matter what. Please nobody take offence, it is just too darned hot over there!

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                Good luck Shirl. Whip up some leaflets, put signs in newsagents, write a letter to the local rag ... you'll easily get 6 people
                Someone else has already done that Two_Sheds - I picked up the form from the garden centre at the top of our village.
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

Hello, there, please excuse a newbie butting in!
                  Does this rule about councils having to consider requests for allotments apply across the country? I live in Huddersfield & it's taken ages to get information on where council allotments are, never mind any vacancies, & they can't provide info on private sites. There's a lot of interest in my village, but I wanted to know how I could apply this rule - please help, I wanna grow, too!!

Comment

Hi Anna & welcome to the vine!
                    Did you try here?
                    Active for Life - Get gardening
                    Huddersfield Allotment Site Winners 2007 - Huddersfield - Latest Local News
                    The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                    Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      Hello, there, please excuse a newbie butting in!
                      Does this rule about councils having to consider requests for allotments apply across the country? I live in Huddersfield & it's taken ages to get information on where council allotments are, never mind any vacancies, & they can't provide info on private sites. There's a lot of interest in my village, but I wanted to know how I could apply this rule - please help, I wanna grow, too!!
                      Hello Anna and welcome to the vine. I will go to the garden centre and get another form today and quote you the blurb under which this is being dealt with here, it might help.
                      Happy Gardening,
                      Shirley

Comment

Good for you Shirley, I hope it works - it'll be reviving a bit of history too

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X