Out the blue offer of a plot!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out the blue offer of a plot!

Not sure if this is the right place to post it now I've been offered a lottie. Came out the blue, have had my name down for ages and was way down the various lists. Anyway, logged on this morning and there was a mail from one of the parish councils near here offerning me a plot if I got back to her asap. It's not the site I really wanted (the one I go past on my way to work) but it's only about 2 miles from home. No running water or leccie and apparently very over grown but it's only £14.60 per year plus a one off £15 registration fee which doesn't sound bad to me. It's a dead small site (only about 6 plots I think) but I think it's relaxed and seem to remember that they let you keen chooks there too. Am going up tonight but am SOOOOO excited I've been no use at work at all today. Need to have a look first but am pretty sure I want it, just need to work out how to broach the subject with OH seeing as I've not mentioned it to him!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Oh and forgot to say, can have the whole plot (don't know how big) or half of it. Am leaning towards the full size but would I find this too big a jump to go from a smallish garden straight to a full sized plot?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

well done hope it turns out to be ok for you, take the full plot you grow into them (scuse the pun) you can always cover until you get round to clearing it
      The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Cool news - go for the full plot. If you find it too much you can always give half up. Finding out half a plot is too small might be more difficult to rectify.

Exciting isn't it!!

Congratulations.
        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

It's VERY exciting, don't normally post "things that are going on in my life" news on here as I prefer to be a bit more private and talk about that with people I'm physically with but everybody here has just looked at me a bit strange - not sure if that's cos I'm grinning like a lunatic or because they don't get the whole lottie thing! Thought you guys would understand better on this one! Will knock off work early tonight and have a look, will try to take some piccies so you can see what I mess it probably is. Funny time of year to give up a site so am guessing that it's not been tended all year.

Comment

If it was me and the price is certainly right, along with the travelling distance which is nowt compared to my 7 mile bike ride, I would email back an affermative reply without even seeing it!

If you can keep chooks deffinately go for the FULL plot as they will clear the ground for you!
            Good luck!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Take it kid, you'll only wish you had!

Flum
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

oooooooo, lucky you. I hope its what you're looking for. I only got mine about 9 weeks ago, but I'm loving it Getting it now means that you can spend time over the next few months making plans for next spring & getting the ground ready

Comment

Well, I've been to look and they weren't lying when they said that it was a bit overgrown! There are 10 plots on the site, in varying states of cultivation. At least 3 of them had chooks, in fact the next door neighbours had devoted most of their plot to a huge chicken run. It's reasonably flat but difficult to see much else at the moment. There is the remains of an old compost bin, some bramble and the start of a few trees! Also seems to be a bit of an informal path through from the main road via a gap in the fence. Will have to find out if this is just other lottie holders or members of the public getting to the garages behind. Any suggestions as to how on earth you might start clearing a plot like this would be gratefully accepted.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    Well, I've been to look and they weren't lying when they said that it was a bit overgrown! There are 10 plots on the site, in varying states of cultivation. At least 3 of them had chooks, in fact the next door neighbours had devoted most of their plot to a huge chicken run. It's reasonably flat but difficult to see much else at the moment. There is the remains of an old compost bin, some bramble and the start of a few trees! Also seems to be a bit of an informal path through from the main road via a gap in the fence. Will have to find out if this is just other lottie holders or members of the public getting to the garages behind. Any suggestions as to how on earth you might start clearing a plot like this would be gratefully accepted.
                    Slowly

No Honest I mean it - Don't go at it like a dervish and end up with a bad back like me other wise you're knackered for life.

If it were me I would hire/beg/borrow/steal a strimmer and cut the top growth off so you can see the bike frames in the under growth.

Then when we get a nice sunny dry day spray the lot with Roundup - this will give you a month to make a plan of attack and Roundup isn't too bad as it breaks down in contact with the soil.

Make a plan as to what you want to grow and don't forget that you can put a row of Raspberries in and they'll be there for 15yrs or so, Strawberries 3-4yrs before they need moving.

If you know any friendly farmers, beg some of the black plastic they use for silage pits and cover a good chunk of it and rather than put brick on to weigh it down use tubs from the pound shop then you can plant them with flowers/bulbs/veg and it doesn't loo too bad.

Roll back a piece of the plastic and dig it over well ( expect weeds for some time - my grandad used to say 1 yrs seed =7yrs weeds but he also said the best mulch is the gardeners shadow so don't give up) then plant it up wit the usual suspects - cabbages etc as they will smother the weeds.

If you can have chooks on your plot build a pen and run the width of the plot and use these to help clear the plot they'll do a good job of manuring as well + fresh eggs!!

Then look in the local paper/shops or recycle for a 2nd hand greenhouse that will take up a bit more space and then don't forget the flowers CHrysanths/Dahlia's/sweet Peas and Gladioli - they will help with the rotation. ANy more help needed have a look on our lottie website (shameless plug in the new strters section )
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

Congratulations, Alison. I'd definitely go for the whole plot, cover what you can't manage and bring it gradually under cultivation. Oh, and I'd definitely invest in a few chooks.
                      Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Have told the parish council that I'm having it and am now dreaming of when it'll be under control! My main concern with getting chooks was if I wasn't able to get to the plot to check on them / put them to bed / feed etc. However, have spoken to a close friend and she is going to work it with me so we should be fine splitting that between us. Not worked out the details yet but am feeling pretty confident.

Comment

Great news, Alison! The plot looks a lot like mine did when I got it two summers ago - I guess a fair few get abandoned in the summer because they have become overgrown and the tenant can't face clearing them again.

On clearing, I agree with Nick in broad terms (though I prefer not to resort to chemicals) - strim it down and then cover it up until you're ready to cultivate it. Except for clearing tough perennial weeds, you don't even need to dig it - check out "Organic Gardening the Natural No-Dig Way" by Charles Dowding, it's packed full of useful information and very inspiring!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X