Running a new allotment site

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running a new allotment site

At the moment a group of us are considering whether to 'go it alone' on running a potential allotment site or whether to twist the council's arm to take it on. As there is no site at present, they have said they will consider this if we find suitable land, but this has proved difficult because of the level of new building in the area. Most land is already committed with planning permission in place.
    The owner of the land does not want it to go to developers, and therefore wants a long lease to protect it.
    There are only two provisos, one that all plots are organic, the land has been grass for over 20 years, and before that was a strawberry field. No chemicals have been used on it since before it went to grass. The second is, we can't shoot the rabbits or foxes.
    One of our group is sure she can apply for grants that would pay for car parking, water connection and a rabbit proof fence. In many ways we want to go it alone, as then we can make the rules, but we are apprehensive about the level of commitment required. It is likely that if we involve the council they will want all sheds to conform to a particular design (this point has been made by them in the past), no livestock etc. We want a site where people can recycle anything, keep animals if wanted, and we were thinking rather than all one size plots, it would be better to have at least 2 sizes, so people can choose whatever they feel they can manage.
    Is anyone involved in running a private allotment site and have any comments on the pros and cons of going it alone, without council involvement? How difficult is it to keep the books balanced etc?
    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

I may be wrong but I don't think the local Council will take on the running of the site, especially as they don't own the land! Even the sites they do own are managed by the plotholders and they only pay a fixed rent to the Council for the land.

Have you contacted NSALG? (National Society of Amenity and Leisure Gardeners) There main aim is the saving of existing allotments but I'm sure they would give some helpful guidence!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi Barleysugar, I very much doubt you can get the council to take on this site unless they purchase the land from the farmer. There is a very good document called a plotholders guide, and page 22 gives you some advise on the regulations and laws associated with allotments. Wish you luck but I feel it will end up being an agreement between the farmer and the plotholders.

A Plotholders Guide
      I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

I would try to keep thing under your own control/ownership if at all possible

There are various associations, societies and so on that advertise at the back of GYO mag I'm sure they would all give you some advice

Do you need liability insurance? Besides the above bodies ask one or two insurance companies Whatever you decide, I would run your ideas past a solicitor In fact, you will probably find that, at least to start with, Red Tape and organising will take up more of your time and energy than digging

Hugh Fearnly Whittingstall (probably wrong spelling, but you know who I mean) did a programme recently on Channel 4 about starting a new smallholding There might be something on their website about it

Shame about the rabbits; perhaps you could get a Jack Russell Terrier for the site?!

Best of luck though, Geoff

Comment

My plot is on a privately owned site and they have employed a management company caled Lee Baron to take care of taking in the rent and sending out agreements other than that we are left to our own devices. I not sure if that helps in anyway.

Comment

Hi BS,

Our site is owned by a charitable trust and we lease the land off them and run everything ourselves. So far we haven't found any problems although if we were a council site there are things that we could get that we can't as a private site.

If they are serious they have the powers of compulsory purchase to aquire land under the allotment act I think it is so the farmer can argue as much as he like there is no comeback under these powers.

You will find that you will need a constitution and a bank account before you can get anywhere but then there are loads of grants that you can apply for to get things sorted out.

Try looking on the ARI site (allotment Regeneration initiative) they have model constitutions etc that you can down load.

As to insurance - yes you do need it as you will be liable if anyone trespassing injures themselves they can sue you! WHo said the law was an ass!!

Hope it helps but if you have any other queries feel free to e-mail me.

Nick
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

Thanks for the replies. We are waiting to hear more back from the farmer and we will be looking into all the points you have raised before going ahead with anything.
              I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
              Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                Have you contacted NSALG? (National Society of Amenity and Leisure Gardeners) There main aim is the saving of existing allotments but I'm sure they would give some helpful guidence!
                Our allotment society is a member of NSALG (actually the National Society of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners) - they do seem to offer a certain amount of support, including a boilerplate constitution document that you can use as the basis for your own society. Their discounted seed scheme is pretty good too
                Last edited by Eyren; 20-08-2008, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X