Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long

Hello,
    Not sure if this is a question that anyone can really answer but i'll put it out there anyway........

How often do allotments change hands?

Im on a waiting list for an allotment. Im number 13 in line which is amazing considering some of my friends have just joing and they numbers 46 and 60!!

I think that there are about 40 plots at the site.

Im so excited about getting one but do you think im going to be waiting about a year or more like 10 years?

Im not sure how fast things move in the allotment world or do people keep hold of them for ever and ever?

If anyone has the magic answer.......id be grateful.

I'm on a site of about 100 plots, of which on average, about 7 a year change hands. Obviously there'll be loads of different potential factors but on the same probabilities, about three a year will become available on a 40 plot site, meaning you might be at the top of the list in about four years. If you ask the allotment secretary, they should be able to give you a rough idea how much things move on your site.

Are there other sites you can apply for too? Or take a look at this thread on how to up your chances:

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...tie_19964.html
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

Comment

If you contact the council administrator/co-ordinator they may be able to give you a rough idea. We were told that the waiting list was 4 months, but we eventually got a plot in 7 months. I read somewhere that most of the leases run Oct-Sept so when the renewal letters go out is a big time for people to leave their plots.

Comment

Hi seja you don't say where abouts you live.
        In some places there will be a long waiting list in others an allotment can be had
        sraight away.
        I suggest you contact on of your local councils Parish(if you have one) Borough & County.
        Our borough council(Charnwood) has several sites some of which have vacant plots some sites have a waiting list.
        One thing you need to consider is distance you don't want a lottie miles from where you live(mine is 5 mins walk)
        Go to the nearest allotment site to where you live & ask people there about waiting lists etc.somebody there might be willing to share/let you use a portion of there plot.
        The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
        Brian Clough

Comment

Our lottie site has several(lots!)of vacant plots,whereas a site roughly a mile away has a waiting list!(long waiting list)I'd get in touch with the council & see if there are any other sites local to you where the wait is shorter.Also as Bubblewrap said go to the site in question & see if there's anyone willing to share theirs #lots of people for many different resons struggle to keep up with a whole plot & would probably be pleased to give a section over to prevent it going to weed.A friend recently did this & the chap has now decided to give up the whole plot.Not sure of the "politics" if there's a waiting list whether you would then be considered to take it over but worth a look in. Good Luck & hope your wait isn't too long.
          the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X