Allotments in South Croydon, Surrey UK

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allotments in South Croydon, Surrey UK

Can anyone tell me if they know of any available plots in South Croydon?
    The Council have told me that there is a waiting list of 2 years. But I have seen infomtion online suggesting that there is a law, which states that councils are obliged to provide allotments where there is a demand. If this is the case why is there such a long waiting list?

Emma

hi emma
    welcome to the vine
    you'll be very lucky to get an allotment next year - i've been on the waiting list for a year now and i did get offered an allotment at sanderstead a couple of months ago, but it had been unused for over 10 years, full of tree growth, everyone's rubbish dump - would have taken 2 years to make it usable
    there are a few locals on here and would be good to get together to try and demand some land - i know a large piece of land we could try and get .....
    and stick around cos we did a small group meet recently and hopefully will do another one sometime soon ........
    http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

and i'll add to the above ....
      no chance of anything at tandridge - apparently big allotments are going to close for 2 years, so demand is heavy (can't remember but maybe NOG told me??)
      i'm on the list for roundshaw (sutton council) - i'm 4th on the list there so MIGHT get a plot next year .....

Comment

Thank you so much for the reply.
        I'm so sorry that the first plot you were offered was overgrown etc, it must have been a real disappointment. I hope you get a good one soon.
        Why are the Tandrige ones closing?? I can't believe that with the present demant, they would even consider closing.
        This plot of land that you think may be suitable, do you know if it is owned by the council? I have been reserching the law and it appears that councils are only obliged to provide the land for allotments if they have suitable land available.
        I would be very interested in meeting up with anyone who is interested in campaining for more allotments, so keep me in mind if you hear of any other meets.

Comment

i think (vague memories of what someone said so don't quote me!!!) that the water company are laying pipelines or something through the big caterham site so that will be closed for 2 years or something
          the plot i know of is technically green belt, possibly privately owned and up for sale, but the council could purchase it and hand it over for allotments
          the law thing has been mentioned on here and twice on the current river cottage series, but i'm not sure on the specific details so you probably know more than i do
          croydon council said their budget doesn't have additional funding for the provision of more land - but their staff don't seem to have a clue anyway .....

Comment

Two years seems like an awfully long time to lay pipelines - but with all the red tape around construction I'm not surprised. I hope the tradesmen don't do too much damage and leave it in a reasonable state.
            I don't think any council has the funding to purchase land for allotments. There's also the fact that Croydon is the biggest borough in Surrey so you can rule out any option that would involve the council spending anything.
            It would appear then that the only options are; to purchase land privately funded by a group or individual and set up private allotments, find an dissused plot of land that the council own and then check to see if the council have registerd the for development. If there are no public plans for development you may have a chance of them letting you reclaim the land - as in river cottage spring.
            So keep your eyes open for wasteland!!!

Comment

Originally posted by shakespeare View Post
              So keep your eyes open for wasteland!!!
              oooh .... the whole of new addington??

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...