The search continues - bit of a moan!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The search continues - bit of a moan!

Hello and thanks for the advice relating to my previous post.

This is a bit of a rant I'm afraid.

I spoke to a lady at the council today and she said that the 100+ waiting list means that I'll probably be waiting for 2yrs or more - it's just madness. Isn't there some law type thingy whereby councils have to 'meet the demand'?? Perhaps I dreamt it!
    I was told of a private site here in Bury. So out I went in the rain and the cold, baby in pushchair and full of a head-cold (believe me, I am like a crazed lady pounding the streets!) in search for said site. I found it - yey - looked rather full - boo! And of course no one was there. Okay so it was raining but I thought there might of been a determined plotter or two there to whom I could talk. So waste of time, no sorry, a wet waste of time. I've absolutely no idea as to who owns the site. The council said they were not allowed to disclose that information - so could this site be the allotment world's equivalent of the freemasons? Instead of a 'special' ring you get a secret trowel!? Okay of course not, but no matter how much searching (really resisting the urge to use 'digging') I do I cannot find any contact details for the owners of the site.

Also this morning I found out that some neighbouring villages have free plots, but that I cannot apply to most because I am not a resident. Now I completely understand that residents should take priority, but some sites were less that 40% full - argh. However on a better note one Village (and the only one) has added me to their list. The Town clerk said that at the moment the list isn't too bad - which sounds good. She also added that quite often people have a change of heart and don't want a plot once they become available - good again! So fingers crossed I'll hear something from them sooner rather than later. Right, I'm off to take a breath and have a cup of tea!!!

Nat

There's just no telling who's growing Tomatoes these days!

council law says that if you have 6 or more waiting they have to find you a plot.

Comment

I remember leaving my name and number with about 10 allotment Secretaries within a 10 mile radius (got the information from the council).
      Eventually I recieved a phone call from a site about 7 mile away which I greedily accepted and immediately started cultivating! One week later I recieved a call from a site that was three mile away from where I lived but I'd already payed my rent and started on the other plot and had to say "thankyou but no"!

All I can suggest is, decide how far you are prepared to travel, and put your name down at as many sites as possible within that radius!

Good luck with your quest Nat!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

you could also try nsalg.org.uk or phone 01536266576 that is national society of allotments

Comment

Where do you live Natnat? Please add it to your personal profile - it makes answering queries much easier. You say Bury - as I live in Suffolk that means Bury St Edmunds, but I am probably wrong.

Comment

could be bury nr. manchester too?
            Last edited by ClayGarden; 14-04-2008, 07:21 PM.

Comment

It's Bury St Edmunds...thought I had added it...??

Comment

I've tried I just have to play the waiting game I guess

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  I remember leaving my name and number with about 10 allotment Secretaries within a 10 mile radius (got the information from the council).
                  Eventually I recieved a phone call from a site about 7 mile away which I greedily accepted and immediately started cultivating! One week later I recieved a call from a site that was three mile away from where I lived but I'd already payed my rent and started on the other plot and had to say "thankyou but no"!

All I can suggest is, decide how far you are prepared to travel, and put your name down at as many sites as possible within that radius!

Good luck with your quest Nat!
                  I sat and listed every allotment within a 35 min drive and only one village would add me as I wasn't a resident - even though some villages had quite a few spare plots...ah well

Comment

Originally posted by barrie tough View Post
                    you could also try nsalg.org.uk or phone 01536266576 that is national society of allotments
                    tried them

Comment

Natnat, don't know if its the done thing, but what about taking a stroll around some of your local lotties, and asking if anyone would be interest in sharing a plot with you?? You might find someone thats struggling with a full plot, but doesn't want to give it up. Worth a try maybe?

Comment

Nat, you've got to be a bit cunning. Go again and visit the plots to find someone to talk to (bear in mind if it's wet and horrible people won't be gardening, and that most plot holders are there on a Saturday before lunch). You have to be persistent.
                        I put my name down for 3 sites, I assumed there was a waiting list because I didn't hear anything for months and months. - it turns out there were vacant plots, just not on the site I had requested - so i didn't get a call.
                        My site was literally over the road to that other one, but the Rep didn't have the marbles to think I might be interested.
                        Best thing...get your walking shoes on and go talk to people. Don't rely on the phone. Show your face (smiling face!)
                        Do you know anyone in the villages who could put their name down for you, if you have to be a resident?
                        Put a "wanted" ad in shops local to the allotments you are interested in. Be cunning, be resourceful. Good luck
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

nat - are you speaking to the right people? like are you asking at the allotments or at the local council? my local council had the waiting lists for allotments round here and i went on the waiting list - and the neighbouring authority put me on the waiting list for an allotment in that borough ..... who is telling you that you can't have an allotment in the neighbouring villages??
                          http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Just think how much you're gonna love that plot when you get it!

Good luck with your search, I think there's been some pretty good advice so far - nothing I can add I'm afraid.
                            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X