Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preston Allotments

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, so this is my first post. I wondered if anyone else has an allotment at Penwortham Holme in Preston. I've had an allotment for 2 years but this is my first real growing year (it took a year to clear the site).

We've just found out that our local council has plans to develop the area which includes selling off the allotments. Does anyone know if they can do this? I read in a gardening book that councils can't sell council-owned allotments without the permission from government, and if they do they have to "re-house" all allotment holders.

Any advice or information on our rights would be welcome!

Clareg

Hi Clare! Welcome on board. I hope we will be able to help. Take a look at www.nsalg.org.uk and click on My Local Authority Wants To Dispose Of The Land. There is then a link to the Deputy Prime Ministers office and that will give you a lot more information. I really hope that this helps.
    [

Comment

Thanks for the link, great information. Rang the local Parks department. Seems like the development is a few years off and has yet to get approval but was told "allotments are a small issue in the scheme of things" which is disappointing to hear.

But, after having the spent the day on the allotment I'll make the most of it now, while I've got the chance. 20 spring onions planted, 38 brussel sprouts weeded and 6 melons planted in cold frames! Phew, time for a rest...

Thanks for your help,

Clareg

Comment

clareg - what a shame for everyone, I read in my paper a few weeks back of this happening somewhere else and they moved all the allotmenteers to a new place but what they don't think about is the years of labour that the old boys had put it to get the soil etc just how they wanted it; some of the old boys decided not to go with the move and gave up - I was appalled that the council could do that to them. Maybe by the time they get around to discussing your plots there will be someone new in power and maybe it will change things for you - hope so
        www.poultrychat.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X