Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the most you would be prepared to pay for allotment rent?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the most you would be prepared to pay for allotment rent?

Appologies if this thread is in the wrong area and I have no doubt the moderators will move it to the'proppa' place if required.
    We have recently had a thread on allotment rents where everyone stated what they pay and what they get for there money.

What I would like to know is, what is the most you would be preparerd to pay per annum?

The reason I ask is that our rents are £30 but it has been mentioned they may go up to £50 this year because of extra insurance costs and hiked land rates.
    I have two plots which I don't mind paying £60 per annum for, but I don't like the idea of paying £100 per annum and may be forced to give one up!

Am I being tight?

In three years that will mean the rents have doubled as I paid £25 per plot two years ago, £30 last year and possibly £50 per plot this year!
    Last edited by Snadger; 17-02-2008, 06:28 PM.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Hiya Snadger
    I'd be prepared to pay up to £50 a year for a plot with good facilities and maybe some security to avoid vandalism. I actually pay £5 a year, but there's no running water, or anything else for that matter (apart from a stunning view!) There is the possibility that our plots will be sold off for building so, some security of tenure would also be nice - I never quite know whether it's worth planting asparagus, for instance . The allotments are owned by a charitable trust, and their future is under debate at the moment.

I agree that £100 is steep if you have the two plots - could you persuade the committee to offer a reduced rate for second plots?
    Last edited by muckdiva; 17-02-2008, 06:38 PM.
    All at once I hear your voice
    And time just slips away
    Bonnie Raitt

Comment

It's a bit of a difficult issue, I think. I'm not paying anything this year, as I got a rent free period due to the poor state of the lottie but my eventual rent will be just under £50 a year for a large plot (approx 20 rods) and water on tap. I probably would pay more than that but only because I'd be desperate to keep my lottie, not necessarily because I thought it was 'fair'. Then again, if you think how much the land is worth and what the owner's could get for selling/renting for commercial purposes (shudder!) my money is really nothing in comparison
      I was feeling part of the scenery
      I walked right out of the machinery
      My heart going boom boom boom
      "Hey" he said "Grab your things
      I've come to take you home."

Comment

Mmmm, a difficult one Snadger, we pay £15 per plot but harvest many times that cost through out the year. Probably £40 a year, less that a quid a week.

Comment

Hmmm. Remind us how big a plot we are talking about here. We pay £35.00 ish for the two (10 rod total) but I'd be prepared to go to £25.00 each at the mo as it's not all in full production. Ie with a bit more work we'd prob go to a bit more.
          Bright Blessings
          Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

thats a thought provoking question,, would have thought i;d go to about £50 year........ quid a week seems reasonable. Currently
            pay £33 which includes insurance and membership of local lottie ass
            The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
              Hmmm. Remind us how big a plot we are talking about here. We pay £35.00 ish for the two (10 rod total) but I'd be prepared to go to £25.00 each at the mo as it's not all in full production. Ie with a bit more work we'd prob go to a bit more.
              The plots are 10 rods each Earthbabe! I have two and pay £30 each making a total of £60 per annum but may be expected to pay £100 total come April 08!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My hobby used to be going to the gym, paying £60 per month.

I spend more time at the Hill than I ever did at the gym, and I'm fitter. The rent for the half plot is £21 per year.

I'm not saying that I'd pay £60 per month for the plot, but it makes you think about the cost of your hobbies!

I do miss going for a swim every now and again, tho'.

Comment

If we get another summer like last year you'll be able to swim as well Hazel

This is interesting as we've just frozen our rents at £20 for they second year ( to be fair it was £15 rent + £5 for ground maintenance ie cutting the Grass around the site and maint to the road ways as we had no cash in the kitty) and some of the guys are moaning as they say it's cheaper to buy the veg ... Come on 40p a week - what the hell can you buy for that! But on the plus side we now have a waiting list !

I suppose £50 wouldn't be too bad - still only £1/week and when you think I used to smoke and they are £5 a packet or more whats the best for me
                  Last edited by nick the grief; 18-02-2008, 12:24 AM.
                  ntg
                  Never be afraid to try something new.
                  Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                  A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                  ==================================================

Comment

hey nick tell them to get a grip, ours is going up this year from £37 to £41. So if they think its cheaper to buy veg from a shop than to pay £20 a year and grow there own either they are doing something wrong or they are as thick as pig s**t.

Cheers Chris

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

I'd pay £50 per year for a 10 rod plot.
                      As you say- it's less than £1 per week.
                      Our rent is staying at £17 for the year - but it would be nice to have running water etc. I've presumed insurance was included, but now I'm starting to wonder if it is!
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

My Dad plays golf, the subs for his golf clubs (places where he has membership, not the stick things to hit the ball with) runs to several thousand per year and, now he's retired, most of his spare cash goes on his hobby in one way or another. Would I pay anything like those prices for my lottie? Not on your life, although I spend as much time on my plot as he does on the golf course and gain as much pleasure from it. The trouble with lotties is that in growing veg on them we have an economic equation to deal with which is not present in most pastimes, where if every kilo of spuds we produce begins to cost much more than shop bought we decide that the whole thing is un-viable. This is probably the wrong attitude when looking at it as a purely leisure activity, but I suppose springs from a time when lotties were an economic necessity rather than a hobby. I currently pay around £40 per year and would be prepared to pay more, - I try never to attempt to work out how much it has cost me to grow my produce, but a quick calculation makes me realize that just growing raspberries covers the cost of the plot - though what my cut off price would be I can't say.
                        Last edited by bluemoon; 18-02-2008, 04:05 PM.
                        Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by crichmond View Post
                          hey nick tell them to get a grip, ours is going up this year from £37 to £41. So if they think its cheaper to buy veg from a shop than to pay £20 a year and grow there own either they are doing something wrong or they are as thick as pig s**t.

Cheers Chris
                          We were a little more diplomatic I think someone said
                          "thats OK you've got 2 weeks to clear your shed and then we'll contact someone on the list"

Also something I didn't mention we have water on tap as much as you can carry but no hosepipes and we've got plans to add a loo when we can find somewhere to put it.
                          ntg
                          Never be afraid to try something new.
                          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                          ==================================================

Comment

OOOh, I'd happily pay more for an allotment with the luxury of a loo on it, although having said that, doesn't wee speed up the composting process?

Seriously though, I think allotments should be free for everyone. The health benefits would surely save the NHS a lot of money.

Comment

Originally posted by jeannine View Post
                              OOOh, I'd happily pay more for an allotment with the luxury of a loo on it, although having said that, doesn't wee speed up the composting process?

Seriously though, I think allotments should be free for everyone. The health benefits would surely save the NHS a lot of money.
                              Jeannine for Prime Minister.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X