No announcement yet.

Allotment is this true?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barleysugar, depends where in Kent you are, it's a big county. I know we have some in Cuxton.

Comment

Originally posted by Vecten View Post
      Barleysugar, depends where in Kent you are, it's a big county. I know we have some in Cuxton.
      I think Sheppy?
      The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
      Brian Clough

Comment

Hi and thanks to everyones advice I got one!

Hi

thanks - managed to get a lottie in Barwell. If anyone is in the area and looking for one there are a number about to be released on the next field.

Drop me a line and I will pass on the details. Thanks again, I am really impressed with The Vine and all your advice etc. Invaluable

Clare

Happy new lottie owner

Comment

Congratulations Clare Welcome to the lovely world of allotmenteering, you'll soon be skip-hunting, manure obsessed and growing far too many plants to fit in the available space It's a great life

Comment

Well done Clare - how exciting!

I too have always thought the rule was that six people (on the register of electors) needed to apply together to the council, and the council were then obliged (ie not forced) to try (ie not necessarily succeed) to provide more plots.

I've looked into this again recently though - partly because a grape posted a link to a speech in parliament by Tony Baldry MP. Mr Baldry has proposed a bill to encourage councils to provide more allotments - even to include them as an obligatory part of the planning process (like they already do with 'affordable' housing).

To quote his speech: The 1908 Act states that if local authorities "are of the opinion that there is a demand for allotments...in the borough, district or parish the council shall provide a sufficient number of allotments to persons...resident in the borough, district or parish and desiring the same".

This doesn't mention the need for six people to write in, or for those people to contact the council together. I've spoken to Mr Baldry and he has no knowledge of these requirements. The act also says the council has a duty to provide alotments. Rather more binding isn't it?

If there are waiting lists for allotments, this in itself demonstrates 'that there is a demand for allotments'. If I were still on such a waiting list I would write to my local council to point this out. I might well do so anyway!
            Resistance is fertile

Comment

Thanks Sarah

Thanks

Your right, am already obsessed - have found a manure supplier £30 per tonne, think that is a lot though for my first go!

Have enough seeds to set up a plant selling business.

A friend of a friend is selling their old rotovator - They did say the name and it is one of the top brands from a few years ago. Just waiting for the yes you can have it and I am off!

Have spent enough to run a small house on mini polytunnels and weed suppressant fabric. Just need the weather to be kind this weekend and hope we get a few spells of sun and no rain for me to go and start digging out the blackberry roots that are left!

Can't wait for easter and to get on there properly and get stuck in.

Comment

When it comes to thinking about what I'm spending on the lottie, I find it helps me to remember that lots of my friends are spending £40 a month plus on gym fees.

Gardening cost a fraction of that, it's much better exercise and you get something to show for all your hard work!

Comment

Originally posted by jeannine View Post
                  ...Gardening cost a fraction of that, it's much better exercise and you get something to show for all your hard work!
                  Yes Blisters a bad back & sunburn ( or trench foot depending on the summer)
                  ntg
                  Never be afraid to try something new.
                  Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                  A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                  ==================================================

Comment

i was told 3 year waiting list when i applied to croydon council last year
                    and i know there's land for sale that could be used for allotments
                    i can't get an answer from anyone at the council to find out how far up the waiting list i am now - will try again monday
                    anyone know why allotments are offered out in april rather than say january?
                    if i'm lucky enough to get an allotment in the april, i won't have time to clear it and start growing anything worthwhile till the following year .......
                    http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer_Gyles View Post
                      anyone know why allotments are offered out in april rather than say january?
                      if i'm lucky enough to get an allotment in the april, i won't have time to clear it and start growing anything worthwhile till the following year .......
                      Would it be any thing to do with the tax year??
                      The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                      Brian Clough

Comment

Our rents run from Sept...but if any become free during the year they are re-let at once.

Farmer_G I thought you had got a plot?

I just heard that the site in Coulsldon is going to be closed for a year as Thames Water want to put a storm drain under it.
                        My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X