Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Progress of Plot 3 aka A Glutton for Punishment

Hi there

This is a record of my progress on work with my third plot which hasn't had any work done on it of any description for at least 5 years. Last year in the Autumn I took it on and felled 5 trees one of which was a HUGE Hawthorn tree which had more Ivy in it than the size of the tree. When I felled it (with a chainsaw) the trunk of the Hawthorn actually snapped because of the weight of the Ivy when I got halfway through cutting it. The whole tree was burnt on Bonfire night together with rockets and airbombs and a few roasted tatties to celebrate its disappearance.

I am now getting ready to start digging it so that I can plant spuds in it, following pictures show now what its like. Underneath the black plastic and tarp its bare ground but solid. At the front of the plot are two old Blackcurrant and one Redcurrant bush that were laden last Autumn. I've dumped some well rotted compost near the compost bin ready to be spread of the dug soil and have bags of wood chips from 2 trees for a path between the 2 plots, that's a project for later.

Here are the pictures:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180401_174510.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	2405673Click image for larger version

Name:	20180401_174530.jpg
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	2405674Click image for larger version

Name:	20180401_174536.jpg
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	2405675Click image for larger version

Name:	20180401_174553.jpg
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	2405676
    The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Looks like plenty of hard work ahead MB, hope the weather picks up for you.
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post
      Looks like plenty of hard work ahead MB, hope the weather picks up for you.
      Looking outside its brightened up here and ....... stopped raining hope I haven't spoken too soon

Comment

Hi there peeps

Due to the absolutely sh*t weather we have had, progress has been nil as I've had to concentrate on plot 1 and plot 2 to try and get them ready for planting.

Thought I would just show my new toy which I test drove tonight on plot 2, had used my Cobra T40B Cultivator at the weekend but my new baby is the Cobra T24C tiller which is very heavy for a tiller so doesn't bounce around like my Mantis tiller does. This beauty really does break the soil up to a fine texture ideal for planting.

Here's a piccie of my new toy showing what it has done to the soil

Name:	20180425_203209.jpg
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	2377451Click image for larger version

Name:	20180425_203224.jpg
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	2377452

Comment

OK just a quick post to say lots of progress has been made now, more pics to follow when I've got time to take them off my phone and edit them for this board.

Comment

The saga continues, Plot 3 progress ....

Hi Folks

I'm back on the forum after a long absence last year because of holidays, family weddings abroad and other stuff.

I've been tackling my 3rd plot which I obtained last year mainly because nobody would take it on, to say it was neglected was an understatement. It had been neglected for about 5 years as far as I could find out and is next door to my 2nd plot which is mainly to grow fruit bushes on. After cutting down 5 trees that had self set and the brambles and burning them over different areas to try and sanitise some of the soil using the heat I covered some of it with my thick black plastic while I decided a plan. I also where possible used my brush cutter to take the 6ft nettles down to the floor and composted them.

With the plot being cleared of the thick undergrowth it gave the bindweed an opportunity it couldn't miss and it proceeded to go mad with growth and cover the bottom end of the site. At the top end there were 3 fruit bushes which were very old and had brambles, nettles and couch grass and as the bushes were very old I decided to remove them and burn them on top of the ground I had just rough dug. I also dug over to about half the plot as most over the front area had been santised from the bonfires on it. Just before winter I sprayed the bindweed with herbicide to kill it and as much of the roots over the winter period.

I've planted winter Garlic, Shallots, red and brown Onions over the dig area and have proceeded to rough dig towards the bottom when possible and remove roots especially bindweed.

Now the best bit some pictures of progress, a wheelbarrow full of bindweed roots and also the dreaded black plastic the previous plot holder had put down over at least half the site, some of it buried. This shows why you should NEVER use black plastic permanently on a site, stuff like bindweed just produces its roots and multiplies under it and then its impossible to get rid of unless you take up the plastic to dig it out.

Name:	20190125_151436.jpg
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	2382211Click image for larger version

Name:	20190125_161350.jpg
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	2382212Click image for larger version

Name:	20190125_151411.jpg
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	2382213Click image for larger version

Name:	20190124_161822.jpg
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	2382214

Comment

MuddyBoots, I've merged this with your previous "Progress" report. Its easier to follow that way.

Comment

Thanks for that, forgot I had started a post last year. Makes sense to merge them thanks alot.

Comment

I feel your pain with the plastic and the bindweed roots! I have the same, but with three layers of carpet. I think at least, that I've managed to dig most of it out. It's amazing how they weave themselves under anything that's laid over the ground.
                  Great progress!
                  https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi SarrissUK

Just been reading your blog and see you have a good project on the go with similar problems to those I have, plenty of bindweed and carpet. Just discovered carpet myself yet another thing to cope with, the local Council have written to all of their plot holders telling them that using carpets on plots is now banned and there is a limit of only 4 car tyres per plot. Thankfully I don't have the tyres, been down today putting the posts for the fence between myself and my neighbor, tomorrow I'm back to finish the job and get on with more digging on plot 3 to get it ready for the planting I have planned for this year.

The only thing I'm not looking forward to is when I reach the tree stumps that I had bonfires over them after I had cut them down, I know it will be hard work to dig out the stumps especially one of them that was the largest.
                    Last edited by Muddy_Boots; 13-02-2019, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Amazing progress Muddy Boots!

Comment

It sounds like you're doing really well MB! I've nearly managed to get rid of all the carpets now, and it's been hard work, but it's not taken as long as I thought it might. Well worth it too, the soil underneath is lovely.

Now I'm eyeing up the plot next door LOL
                        https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Nice work Muddy Boots!
                          https://beingbears.wordpress.com

Comment

Update on Plot 1:

Did the first job and put in proper posts for the fence between myself and my new neighbour and used postcrete to make them rigid and did a proper finished job, pictures supplied notice the Asparagus bed in front of the fence needs weeding and top dressing prior to it waking up when spring finally arrives.

Forked out all the Twitch/Couch grass growing down a band on the left side of the main growing area. Used farmyard manure delivered last year and in a pile on Plot 2 and now well rotted to cover the bulk of Plot 1 and between the Asparagus and the winter Peas and dug it in with a spade. Removed any roots for Bindweed, Dandelion, Twitch/Couch grass and the dreaded Horsetail (aka Mares tail) which is only minor and diminishing.

Pictures follow (I know you all like them):

Name:	20190215_153557.jpg
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	2382341Click image for larger version

Name:	20190215_153616.jpg
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	2382342Click image for larger version

Name:	20190216_170130.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	2382343Click image for larger version

Name:	20190216_170149.jpg
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	2382344Click image for larger version

Name:	20190217_163528.jpg
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	2382345

Next update for plot 2 and Plot 3.

Comment

Ok further progress:

Plot 1 is finished, two small beds on the right dug over and weeded, Asparagus bed consisting of 2 rows weeded and top dressed, remainder of the main plot had manure added and was dug in and weeded. Only thing needs doing now is for the fence to be painted with some of the 3 full unused tins of Fencelife I inherited when I took on Plot 3. (photos showing the progress)

Plot 3: the front of the plot has been dug and all the Couch/Twitch grass I could get out was removed together with Bindweed roots and the remaining roots from the old fruit bushes I removed at the end of last year, last photo posted is halfway through the digging. This will be covered with black plastic tomorrow to stop anything nasty hoping to poke its head up and grow.

Name:	20190222_171901.jpg
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	2382409Click image for larger version

Name:	20190222_171915.jpg
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	2382410Click image for larger version

Name:	20190223_172441.jpg
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	2382411Click image for larger version

Name:	20190223_172452.jpg
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	2382412Click image for larger version

Name:	20190220_164955.jpg
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	2382413

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X