Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you buy your green manure seeds?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for restarting this thread but VCs link is very useful, I'm just finding it hard to decide which green manure to plant. My bed is quite heavy stony acid clay. I'm thinking of planting a green manure after my new potatoes are out of the ground but can't decide whether I'd be able to get a quick crop of something in first. The potatoes will be coming out as we need them over the next few weeks and likely will all be up by mid August.
    Would it be worth squeezing a quick crop in before green manure (if so what) and what green manure should I use? I'd rather not have one that's could be difficult to dig in (a bit I don't mind) think I'm trying to decide between mustard, forage rye of phacelia. I currently don't grow brassica but do tend to grow quite a few legumes

Comment

Jimny I'd look at free mulch in addition to green manure. If you can get something like field beans or general mix to sprout and have thick free mulch as well all laying there over winter, you will find the worms and green manure will give you wonderful top soil. Just add more mulch each year and the soil ends up really easy to use.
      Free mulch comes as autumn leaves, home made compost, council 'soil improver', neighbours lawn trimmings etc. Gather whatever you can access and build the beds in the autumn.

Comment

Boston Seeds

Comment

Cheers Kevin, I've a darlek of compost ready to go straight on this winter, can't spare my garden leaves I'm afraid as they go in the chicken wire cage for leaf mould, I do have some manure as well which should be ready to go on next winter (it's only just arrived and is quite fresh). Just trying to come at this from every angle and thought it might be worth trying green manures too.

Comment

Buckwheat can be used as a quick green manure as it can be cut down/pulled out after 4 weeks.

It also excretes something from the roots that extracts phosphorus from the rocky parts of the soil (i.e. The ones that aren't plant available minerals) and stores it in its leaves.

It also seems to break down quickly when used as a mulch although can resprout from the base. Leave it in 8 weeks and make your own pasta

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Sorry to bump an old thread but the flight is just too long and I have free internet onboard so reading and learning as much as I can.
              I like the idea of green manure but have no space to spare for them. Would spreading it into wild and mowing it and then using it as mulch work? Will they germinate like wild flowers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X