Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they had clearly done a lot of work to the plot last year I would stand down, however, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Sounds like Plot4People have done a sneaky number change in their favour. I'd also be interested in which plot is on their tenancy agreement.

I wouldn't give up too easily.
    My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Plot 2 is in better condition because they’ve been working it all year,it was probably a state when they started. This is failure of the council running things,imagine if you’d been working on your plot for a year & a new person comes in,they must feel like you’re trespassing,neither allotmenter is to blame the council should’ve sorted this out,they sent you a letter because they realise what a mess they’ve made. They could’ve spent a lot of time & money on it & they did label it as plot 4 before you went there,the council should’ve dealt with that & they didn’t.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
        Plot 2 is in better condition because they’ve been working it all year,it was probably a state when they started. This is failure of the council running things,imagine if you’d been working on your plot for a year & a new person comes in,they must feel like you’re trespassing,neither allotmenter is to blame the council should’ve sorted this out,they sent you a letter because they realise what a mess they’ve made. They could’ve spent a lot of time & money on it & they did label it as plot 4 before you went there,the council should’ve dealt with that & they didn’t.
        Thanks for the reply. I do see that they may have been working on the plot, but it looks as though they were the people who marked it as plot 4 - the 'proper' plot 2 sign had been taken off the gate for the plot, left just inside the gate and replaced with the plot 4 sign. It's that which makes me think it's been done by the people on plot 4 as 'my' plot was in better condition!

Comment

Unfortunately, however it gets resolved and whoever's 'in the wrong' (not you, clearly), it's not an ideal start - having an allotment should be a rewarding and relaxing pastime... but conflict with plot neighbours/the council can turn things sour. Stand your ground but try to remain calm and collected - at least until it's clear exactly what's happened - you may have to deal with plot4people on a regular basis for the forseeable future!
          He-Pep!

Comment

That would be my worry too - tension between plot neighbours is not healthy

Obviously, none of us have seen the plots or know what condition they were in before you started work. If you only took it on last month then you probably haven't planted anything yet so nothing lost in that way.

Backing down gracefully, perhaps negotiating a rent free period in return and taking the best of the plots that are on offer might be an option.

Comment

But IF they've swapped the plot number signs around?? Surely no-one should be allowed to get away with a childish stunt like that, regardless of any work they've put in?
              He-Pep!

Comment

Just wondering whether otbc could give us his location - Council area say. There may be someone here who knows how that Council manages the plots?

Comment

We can all offer views and advice but unfortunately we can't provide you a solution. Only you, your fellow plot holders and the council can achieve that.

I agree with previous comments that an amicable solution needs to be sought or potential confrontation everytime you visit the plots will result in you not enjoying your plot and be counter productive.

I think if you can get the best of the rest for a rent free period is your best solution as the council have already said it is an error on their part.

Whatever agreement is reached, I wish you well in the enjoyment of gardening
                  Last edited by Greenleaves; 14-02-2018, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Best thing to do is meet up with new #2. Have a pint and chat and see if they will help to break-in an alternate plot. They have benefitted from your effort, so is it unreasonable that they do equivalent effort to help you? You will both have the common enemy.

Pick the allotment with the most "green tender weeds" (soil is going to be most fertile) or dig out a spade square of soil and count the worms.

Comment

Is there someone who is a plot holder who is sort of 'in charge'/ most respected/designated intermediary with the council?We used to have a guy on our first site who was responsible for turning on and off the tapsover winter and get in touch with the council if there were any problems such as break ins.
                      There may well be someone but you don't know about them yet.
                      They could be an intermediary....
                      You really don't want to make 'enemies '... not when your plot is going to be your place to escape to/enjoy for years to come.
                      You are the newbie so have not yet earned any particular respect...the other peeps might be the allotment bullies....the other plot holders will no doubt be watching what goes on from afar.....
                      Keep whiter than white....
                      Last edited by Nicos; 14-02-2018, 09:08 AM.
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi Ya, I think you are in the right and if the council say you have to move then compensation and help from the council to get the new plot in to shape is required. You have put a lot of time and effort into your new venture. The people who moved the plot numbers are at fault as they should of made it official. As for them being upset well live with it. They are the ones who got it wrong. Stand by your guns and if you decide to move ask for the new plot to be rent free for two years while you bring it round. You are the innocent party in this. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Comment

It's not nice having people against you in these kind of environments. By the sound of the site, very few of the plots are being actively worked, so you're likely to come across these other plot holders, even if they finally move to the plot they are supposed to be occupying, in your view.

If you can't come to an amicable arrangement between you about helping each other out to get both your plots ready for the season, then you could stick to your guns and try and argue it out. Go and see your councillor, go to your local CAB or legal advice centre if you have one, even go and see a lawyer and find out how much they'd charge to write a letter on your behalf. But you will have to accept that these other plot-holders and indeed potentially others on the site (friends or relatives of the 'interlopers') will not be prepared to help you out and could even make life difficult for you. If you can maintain neighbourly relations, it would make you feel more comfortable every time you go there.

Comment

Often thought about having an allotment, but one or two posts on here have put me off, glad my garden is adequate for my needs.

Comment

I agree that the plot 2 should on paper be yours. But I'd suggest separating out what is technically the most right/correct/just result on this from what you actually want to achieve with this.

You want to have an allotment space.
                              You accepted one that was in a particular level of condition.
                              However, it sounds like the reason it was less overgrown is because the Plot 4 folks had been working/tending it for a year. Lack of plants in place, especially this time of year, is not lack of evidence of work.
                              At the same time, you have now done some work on that same plot, repairing sheds and digging new areas etc and that effort will be lost of you move.

Some questions for you:

If you had been offered the other/overgrown plots when you first joined the allotment, and plot 2 had never been on the cards, would you have accepted one?
                              Is your priority getting a plot that is in decent starting condition, or is your priority to get an allotment to work on?
                              Do the other overgrown plots have sheds/other furniture items on them that you can use to start you off? If not, was the potential expense of this something you had prepared to front or been willing to do without *before you saw plot 2*?

Forget the month of work you have done on plot 2. The plot 4 people might have been on the wrong space, but they put potentially a year+ of work on that same space, not to mention cost of any furnishings etc, so arguing about lost effort will not get weighted in your favour. And in any case, you'll be gardening on the same site as these folks for the forseeable so it's better to start off on a good footing with people.

Remember also that it is still early enough that this month of lost work might not cost you much in terms of this year's productivity. It's not like it's April and you've planted out dozens of vegetables already.

I suggest look at the whole site with fresh eyes, as if Plot 2 had never been offered to you. Decide on that basis if you want to accept a different plot, request a refund, or request some sort of compensatory deduction to compensate for a month of lost effort.
                              Last edited by Newt; 14-02-2018, 12:58 PM.

Comment

I agree, it’s a difficult position to be in.
                                Is there an allotment association at your site, or some other regulars who could be approached to confirm that the people who say they have been working plot 2 have genuinely done so? (Probably best via council rep or allotment committee rather than you asking directly). Unfortunately the wording of that council letter sounds very much like council had incorrectly thought that plot was unlet...

If the other folk have indeed worked the plot for a year, then you may be better to step aside gracefully- as a years work trumps even a busy months work. Last thing you want is to sour relations with that plotholder and their pals...

However, it would be very reasonable to ask for something in return. It is a real blow to lose a months hard work, and it seems only fair that the other parties do something to soften the blow.
                                You need to be realistic though, as councils are hard pressed for money and time, and any allotment site reps/comittee are usually unpaid volunteers.
                                Maybe a 50% rent discount for first year and some leeway on percentage cultivation requirements for this growing season In view of your ‘lost time’ the last month/ taking an abandoned plot, or perhaps a rent discount equivalent to cost of timber you bought to repair shed, a few hours help clearing /strimming your plot either from council or other plot 2 person?, take with you any plants eg fruit bushes you have put in.

Best of luck, and I hope you will soon be enjoying your plot-whichever one that ends up being

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X