No announcement yet.

Problem tree in neighbouring garden

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would think there is litle that you can do, or more precisely anything that you can do that would be worthwhile and not cause a problem.

I would not worry overly about whatever you plant, seeds tend to do a good job of growing just about anywhere they fall and shady, sunny whatever tends not to come into it for them. Bit of shade could be beneficial as the ground is not hit so hard by the sun. Most veg need moisture and the tree is reducing the water/moisture loss.

Never been sure about crop rotation, that was something I learnt of at school but lets face it if you want nitrogen in the soil for a crop you are not going to sow beans for a whole year, miss a years production so that the following year there happens to be a bit more nitrogen in it. You go buy something from the GC and throw it on. And you are not going to let 1/4 of the allotment lie fallow each year either, which was another aspect of crop rotation.

As to any disease then you walking up and down the allotment will do a good job of spreading that.

Comment

A lot of soft fruit like currants etc are woodland plants so don't need a lot of direct sunshine; why don't you have this sort of thing in the shady areas, plus your utilities (shed, compost bins etc), which leaves the sunny parts for growing veggies which like the sun.
      How big is your plot? If it's a full 10 rod plot, you should still have plenty of room to grow stuff...

Comment

It's a half plot (5 rods). I don't need a shed because we have a communal shed with lockers which is near my plot. Among other things in the shady area I've planted currants and gooseberries, will see how they do.

Comment

Originally posted by TrixC View Post
          I'd love to take the second plot but I think it might come with a free divorce
          Have you got your second plot yet
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

As Rary asked did you go for a second plot. I'm in the process of building a Site Rep Association for the allotments in my borough and the subject or Trees in and around the plot has come up as a hot topic of discussion. I have found that our local council has a four year schedule for visiting, inspecting and maintaining trees. I have found the schedule for trees around and on allotments on their web page, and we will be having discussions with the councils Tree Officer with regards what can be done about existing trees in and around the site.

We will also be looking at what can be dome to ensure that new plot holders do not turn whole plots into orchards, and that dwarf stock is used or the trees are trained and maintained.

I would like to hear from other Grapes as to what problems they have with trees on their allotments and how they have dealt with it.
            sigpic
            . .......Man Vs Slug
            Click Here for my Diary and Blog
            Nutters Club Member

Comment

Not yet, no, although I’m still tempted. Had quite a good summer growing season despite the shade issue, although we can’t really grow any winter veg as the plot gets virtually no sun at this time of year.

You sound well organised, I hope you have some success with the tree officer. Our council are hopeless, we have to nag the allotments officer again and again to get any maintenance done. We had a leaking water tank in the communal shed and it took them 3 months to fix, caused so much damage to the building that now the door is rotted off its hinges. So I should think trees are not high on their list. In any case, the tree bothering me is on private land, although there are other trees on the site they really should deal to.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X