No announcement yet.

Pics from my allotment in Japan

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great pics! I always imagined that the plots over there would be big... dunno why coz what in Japan ever is!? Whereabouts are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
      Nice plot Yebisu, the questions I was going to ask have already been asked, mainly to do with dryness & mulching.
      It's been hard work keeping up with the watering in the last week. The days are getting hot and we haven't had any rain! But yesterday the rice field next to my plot started to get filled with water. According to my neighbours, the water from the rice paddy wicks into the allotments which means I'll have a lot less watering to do from now on!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
        Really interesting to see!
        I see you all make temporary raised beds.
        I did similar on my UK plot....meaning you could change them easily each year depending on what you want to grow/part of a rotation.

Your plants look very healthy..well done!
        Thanks for sharing
        Thank you! I'm just copying what my neighbours are doing.

I think one of reasons the people make those temporary raised beds is for drainage. From the middle of June the rainy season starts. It only lasts a few weeks but a lot of rain can fall and anything that isn't raised could end up flooded for quite a while. The same applies in September when the typhoons come.

Comment

Originally posted by Yasai View Post
          Great pics! I always imagined that the plots over there would be big... dunno why coz what in Japan ever is!? Whereabouts are you?
          I've heard about allotments up to 100m squared out in the countryside but in the towns and cities 30 to 50m squared in standard. Some cities rent out bigger plots but they are rice fields and you're expected to use them for rice. My small plot is enough for me. I don't know how people manage anything bigger.

I'm in Shizuoka.

Comment

Fascinating to see how things a done overseas, your neighbours will have certainly learnt how to maximise the space so copying them in wise.

Hopefully you can post update pictures from time to time

Comment

I like your stuff - I've already used the 'bags around pots' thing so thanks for that.
              (My plot is furthest from the site entrance - so aesthetics aren't too problematic - thankfully)
              sigpic
              1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Just reading your post makes me realize how fortunate we are here, we do get a lot of rain, and we do have floods, but its not a "rainy season"when you can expect floods at a regular time of the year and we don't have typhoons, so a lot to be thankful for, but its good to hear from different parts of the globe
                Last edited by rary; 31-05-2017, 02:57 PM.
                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Fantastic to see your allotment. I imagine it will be quite a sight when the paddy fields fill up too. Your site looks great.
                  Follow my grow and cook your own blog

https://tabularasa.org.uk/
                  Wordpress Reader: Tabularassa99
                  Facebook: https://mfacebook.com/tabularasathrive
                  Instagram: Tabularasathrive

Comment

Originally posted by Yebisu View Post
                    Well, they are small compared to the ones in Britain. They are usually around 30m square.
                    I don't think of 30m square (900 square meters) as being that small. Did you mean 30 square meters?

Anyway, thanks for sharing the pictures. Nice looking vegetables!
                    Nutter's Club member.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X