compost heap

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compost heap

I have just got my first allotment and I want to start a compost heap. I have a shady area of the allotment that I can't use because of some trees. Do you think I could start a compost heap in this area or has it got to be in a sunny place?

Hello flowerpot, welcome to the Vine!

Not sure about your compost heap - would have thought that it would be fine by the tree tho' -but a knowledgable grape will be along soon, I'm sure, to advise!

Comment

Mine are in a shady spot under trees and seem to be OK. Whether they are hot or cold seems to depend more on what I put in them than the outside conditions!
      You are a child of the universe,
      no less than the trees and the stars;
      you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

Everything rots eventually. Think of a forest floor ... its just that a warm heap will do it faster
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have two Daleks, and one traditional wooden bin. Best results (although not fast) are from the traditional wooden sided bin, which is in the shade at the side of the house.

Comment

I have sited my two compost heaps in a shady area that I couldn't use for anything else!
            My logic is, why should I use good growing land for a compost heap?

Tucked away where it is, it is out of site out of mind and everything seems to rot down ok....jobs a goodun!

PS Because its hidden at the back of my plot it means I can pee on it without getting arrested for exposing myself, thereby helping it rot down and tending to the call of nature as well!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I have just aquired two Daleks. One I have placed in full sun (if we get any) and the other alongside my growing plot in semi shade. I'm waiting to see which one performs best so I can choose the best site for both bins. I have a palette bin that resides mostly in shade that seems to do very little to rot it's contents any faster than an open heap. My conclusion is that everything will rot eventually but the sun on it's back speeds the process up.
              I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

All 3 of mine are in the shade!
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thank you for all of your help. I'll give it a go in the shade and will let you know how it goes.
                  Thanks

Comment

...and so are mine, under trees. At least CK's are and they rot well. The only problem is that in the summer, if ever get one, the trees keep some of the rain off so they have to have extra water added to keep them damp enough . They are open pallet style ones and when full are left for a week or two, covered, to heat up and then turned. The result is almost good enough to eat
                    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Mine are in a shady corner too. What else would I use it for - it's near a hedge too which would dry out anything I tried to grow. They may take a bit longer but they rot down fine in the end.
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Plastic Compst Bin

Hi,

I have a plastic compost bin (left bt previous owner) it is full of branches and grass cuttings by the looks of it, never having a compost bin, it does not seem to be mulching down, just attracting slugs, snails and flies.

I heard you should water it and put worms in there to help with breaking it down, it does get some sunshine, but i am unable to turn it at all as it is so full.

Should i empty it and start again or what can i do to help the process along, not to sure how long it takes either really.

Comment

The branches will take ages to break down - maybe take them out and make a log pile for wildlife somewhere discreet and shady or burn them and add the ash to the compost?
                          You are a child of the universe,
                          no less than the trees and the stars;
                          you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

I have 2 daleks (in sun and shade ) and 3 heaps: two under trees. the one under a weeping willow (10metres tall) attracts tree roots .. snd eventually if left the compost becomes immoveable.. One of the other two is under a normal willow and does not have that problem.
                            The third is under a beech hedge: it becomes home for frogs and fieldmice."""..

edit frogs are ok: fieldmice eat ebverything. But as we have field sbeside us (down to grass) and trees what can we expect!
                            """
                            Oh and slugs and worms as well.... lots of them. Nice big juicy slugs and red worms.. millions of them. the blackbirds love them...
                            Last edited by Madasafish; 09-08-2007, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X