Garden size and optimisation

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Aldersbrook.

It is nice to have a plan and a few ideas of what you want/need. However, as most gardeners find a plan is only a plan and real life is a b***er. Sometimes one has to allow leeway for a new innovation or a change in legislation(particularly chickens). So this years bright spot in the garden could be a disaster next year. The potatoes grow like mad in one place and the next year they fail. There is no rhyme nor reason, it just happens.

So I would say just try it and keep good records of what happens and develop it over the years. What seems right to someone else may be entirely wrong for you. I wish you all the best for the vegetables and the family life. I will also be interested to read how you are getting along with your projects both current and those that start in the future.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Aldersbrook View Post

With regards to hives, I agree. It was one of my concerns too. There will be a entrance to the chicken coop/run area, but it would only be going there and the hives should be far enough for not disturbing. The entrance of the summer house will be to the opposite corner, near the greenhouse. Keeping the bees from that entrance/path is key..
      I don't know what way they are facing at the moment and just feel they are taking up a lot of space. Walking behind them isn't an issue as a rule, it is in front/ in their flight path. Also you can stick hives close to each other, so essentially you have a bank of them. However, at the end of the day you need to be sure, as once they are in they are in. I can't remember the movement rule now but either a few cms or a few miles no in between if you change your mind. Turning the entrance around is also a no no.

Very good point about the structures I have taken that on board. I also agree on the small raised bed and the pot on the decking. My only concern with the structures, arches etc is the shade that they might create..shall I be concerned?.
      In an ideal world, structures would be on the north side. However, leafy veg and rasps will tolerate shade. If the structure is poles and wires to fan train or espalier fruit it is not so likely to be an issue (depending on the branch spacings)

Now 2 questions:

- Would it not be better to move the greenhouse to the opposite boundary? My only concern is that it would be against a relatively tall hedge and might be more in the shade, as it would be facing east instead of west). The pros would be that I free up the most exposed boundary, so potentially more fruits can be planted there. What do you think?.
      I personally like where it is, it instinctively seems to be right, but that might be a rh thing. It will be next to the main path and inline with the water tanks. The gh will be home to your precious lil'uns which you will be tending to a lot.

In general the layout is not bad but all very squared up. Wonder if there isn't something a little bit less "symmetrical" that we could go for but keeping efficiency in mind.
      I am not the best person for this. I am not good at soft and flowing lines. However, this will be where your surface treatments come in (and your budget). The path for example you could do as a winding yellow brick road, barked paths in the veg bed and have an oval lawn. And the list goes on.

One last point and I will let you have your garden, I promise . Which do you prefer chicken or children? You have given the chooks 21ft length of garden but children to be 10ft. I would be tempted to split it - 20ft chooks, 20ft veg, 20ft children. But that is just me.

Have fun and don't stress it will evolve over time, just be sure about ya bees

Edit: Forgot to say I would have the cherry tree at the side of the lawn rather than in the veg patch.
      Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 09-03-2017, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X