No announcement yet.

Pests and diseases, am I doomed?!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teabag, they have loose Kestrel seed potatoes down at Wilko's only £1.50 for a brown paper bag full that you fill yourself, took ten minutes yesterday filling a bag up with the small ones until I couldn't get any more in and at £1.50 an absolute bargain.

Here's a description of them from D.T. Browns website:
    A smashing variety for roasting and chipping, as it does not absorb too much oil. The healthy plants are double eelworm-resistant and have good resistance to slugs and blackleg. The long, white skinned tubers have purple eyes and are often seen on the showbench.

I would recommend getting down there pronto before they sell out as they are worth spending the money on and because you pick them yourself you get to pick all the good ones that are small.
    The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

I'm off down the plot at 10 (yes I'm a lazy bugger) and going to jump up and down even if people are there
      I've posted these in 2 other places so you might have seen them before.. if not enjoy, still lots too do Click image for larger version

Name:	16473622_10158105126480507_5084523075893330203_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	2371129Click image for larger version

Name:	16649073_10158105126510507_4877230046749925797_n.jpg
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	2371130Click image for larger version

Name:	16508776_10158105126595507_8635838173648808339_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	2371131Click image for larger version

Name:	16473242_10158114866010507_770760073938085062_n.jpg
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	2371132Click image for larger version

Name:	16507934_10158114866005507_6653209728005697725_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	2371133

Comment

If the eelworm was such a terrible problem, the man whose potatoes got blight wouldn't have bothered to plant them in the first place. Muddyboots has given you a great list there in any case. Picasso is a tasty tatty and very, very productive.

Everyone has some disaster or other. In my case, I could avoid a lot of problems simply by sowing seeds and planting things out at the right time.

One rookie error to avoid: don't grow too many courgette plants!

Comment

Good point! I've since learned the bloke who was telling me about the nasties is very pessimistic! It did put a right dampner on things at the time. I'm still going and digging it over, got garlic in atm, onion sets and spuds are in modules/eggboxes and going to start my veg seeds off this weekend.

Think I'll be safe on the courgette front I'm not too fussed, so might grown just one plant from 2 seeds started off

Edit: I got kestrel, valor and cara along with maris peer and rocket which I had already
          Last edited by Teabag; 14-03-2017, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Good luck Teabag. It looks like you have some fine views from your plot.

Comment

Thank you Twynyrodyn, it is lovely up there. here's what it looks like now.. still a lot to dig over but getting there slowly Also got myself a water tank!
              Attached Files

Comment

Cabbage fly and carrot fly can be prevented using insect netting, just use it as you would bird netting. Forking can be caused by stones, shallow soil or too much nutrients but it is largely cosmetic they are still edible.

Blight can be prevented with fungicides (inorganic) or using resistance varieties. If it's a major problem stick to earlies or try oca instead.

Try mixed nematodes for soil pests

Comment

I have aphids on my plants annually and caterpillars on my cabbage, I wait for the ladybirds and lacewings to come help because they eat the aphids, and I wash the rest off at harvest.

I have discovered this through reading and watching growers, if they have nothing wrong with their crops, then it is likely they are using some chemical or other to kill insects and one icide or other, fungicide or insecticide....

I know this much allotment users are seldom weak willed or fickle characters. They tend to be for the most, decent folks with a sense of doing something good. Don't let an old spud get you down for when you get the taste for fresh grown and you out smart then bugs and such you will feel proud.

It seems important at the moment to encourage growers to get at it and have a grow.
                  See his words as a heads up and look to treating matters, rather than a doom on you......

I wish you luck and a season of growing you and your plants.....
                  Before you spray a single thing,
                  sit down and read the silent spring.

Comment

Thanks flynch and polytunnel poet.

Well my spuds, onions, garlic and peas are in.. so far so good, no pests except some voles?! Just got one long bed to dig over and a lil patch

I'll start a new thread when I can work this forum on my phone and upload the pics. Also have 2/3rds of one side of a poly tunnel, loving every second I'm up there. I now see what he was saying as a heads up, he's a nice bloke really. All the old timers have been saying I'm doing a good job with it, quite pleased with myself!

Comment

Winning over the old timers... You must be doing well.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X