No announcement yet.

What potato to grow in 2017

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im not really sure what I'm growing yet, I know this year I had way too many varieties (probably about 15), but because of soo many I lost track of the varieties and where they got put so I don't know what grew well and what didn't I also seem to be having a probably with them all going 'mashy' when cooking them :S I think I will go with the varieties 'Markies' (If I can find them) and Sarpo 'Kifli' (I think it was these that did well)
    Visit my blog at: marksallotment20162017.wordpress.com

Comment

Cheers for all the suggestions I think I am going to go for swift, charlotte and seaports Mira for now

Comment

I've already decided to grow alot more spuds for 2017 on my second plot.

The area I'm going to use has not had anything cultivated on it for at least a couple of years, maybe longer. I'm in the process of just turning the soil as much as i can slowly but surely digging 3 rows at a time so as not to kill myself. The covering of thick black plastic has well and truly killed all the weeds and its just a case of peeling some of it back and digging 3 rows at a time, until the job is done and the frost and snow can sort out the lumps and help break them up prior to planting.

I've already ordered the following varieties:

King Edward VII (Maincrop)
        Charlotte (White Second early)
        Anya (Second Early)
        Pink Gypsy (Maincrop)

And trying some new French varieties on the market:
        Belle de Fontenay (Maincrop)
        Ratte (Maincrop)
        Charlotte (Red Second Early)

Should be an interesting year, especially with trying these french spuds.
        The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

Just Charlottes again for me.
          Perfect new potatoes, and I still have larger ones in storage for chipping, roasting, steaming ,jacketing or crushing.
          Good all rounder if you enjoy the waxiness.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Dunluce for first earlies. No-one's mentioned them yet, but I prefer them to others we've tried. Not far off a Charlotte in flavour or texture and quick to grow to suitable size for harvesting.
            Charlottes for second earlies
            Picasso for maincrop. Very productive!

Comment

First Early - Lady Christl, great taste and reliable.
              Second Earlies - Charlotte and Kestrel.
              Maincrop - Cara, we always grow Cara because they're blight resistant and good bakers and roasters. This year we're trying Sarpo Mira.

Comment

Originally posted by mattyaimeeralphie View Post
                I have been flicking through magazines and looking online for potatoes I'm looking at group 3-5 different types to cover me for everything we love new potatoes mash and baked potatoes so any recommendations would be good as the lists are endless. I think swift for my first early. I'm a plain and simple grower no fancy varietys

I just got my allotment in Nov 16 so this is my first year growing.
                My allotment assosiation have just got their seed potatoes in and I am going to try Rocket for my first earlies. I have them chitting in the conservertory at the moment.

Comment

We're going Charlotte, Rooster and Sarpo Blue Danube this year.

I've grown Desiree for two years, but last year half the crop rotted in the ground due to blight, bad weather, and too much stuff going on for me to get down the plot in time. So I thought I'd try a change.

*coming out of hibernation and waving*

Comment

Is there a particular variety that is likely to give big baking type spuds...? Or is it simply the big ones from any variety that make it to the shops sold as bakers..

Comment

I had some Caralus (sp?) last year. They were huge!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Sarpo Mira make huge spuds

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X