Help!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like it may be a perfect fit

Hi Newton and welcome to the Vine. Hope the water drains away quickly.

Comment

Find the lowest point on your plot, and once it has dried up a bit (i.e no standing water) start digging trenches that converge at that point... then dig another trench from there to somewhere off-plot that's even lower (preferably not someone else's plot!). I've been doing this over the course of the summer, and now when it rains I only get standing water in the trenches. I haven't diverted the water off plot yet, but once I do, I think my problems will be over. I've been filling my trenches with pipes and gravel so they don't erode (and so I don't have ugly and annoying trenches all over my plot), but that isn't strictly necessary.

Attached Files
      He-Pep!

Comment

Hi Newton - I've a very soggy plot too, you have my sympathies.

While you're raising the rest of the plot, you might think about digging out a natural pond for the water to drain to next winter. You'll get frogs and all sorts, which will also keep the slugs hiding in the hedge at bay

Trenches are handy, though just make sure you can see them. I spent most of my first year falling into the overgrown trenches my predecessor left me.
        http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
          Find the lowest point on your plot, and once it has dried up a bit (i.e no standing water) start digging trenches that converge at that point... then dig another trench from there to somewhere off-plot that's even lower (preferably not someone else's plot!). I've been doing this over the course of the summer, and now when it rains I only get standing water in the trenches. I haven't diverted the water off plot yet, but once I do, I think my problems will be over. I've been filling my trenches with pipes and gravel so they don't erode (and so I don't have ugly and annoying trenches all over my plot), but that isn't strictly necessary.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70252[/ATTACH]
          Bario, your drainage pipe doesn't appear to be perforated so how does the water get into it?
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

If I had a waterlogged plot ad paid my annual rent not knowing that it flooded I would be asking for some sort of compensation (rent free period until I got it sorted?) or another plot!
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              Bario, your drainage pipe doesn't appear to be perforated so how does the water get into it?
              It's perforated with drillholes all along the underneath.
              He-Pep!

Comment

Hello and welcome,

Two things occure to me, 1) Untilled soil is dense and will hold back water on the surface whereas heavilly composted soil allows water to be retained within and soak through in equal measure. 2) Untilled soil lacking in fibre and organic material will be compressed and appear lower.

Whenever we dig to turn over soil it always appears higher where it is loose. The idea of a sump/drain/ditch may well work but if you are going to all that effort why not double gig the area burying absolutely anything organic at all depths and let winter and weather do its thing. Ensure that run off water from elsewhere is not headed for your plot and then make your soil light, airy and full of organic material. Raised beds might make sense to you in this respect.

Hope this is useful to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  If I had a waterlogged plot ad paid my annual rent not knowing that it flooded I would be asking for some sort of compensation (rent free period until I got it sorted?) or another plot!
                  I've asked the council if they can source any topsoil, compost, manure, anything to add mass to the allotment, but they can't offer any help whatsoever. I have got the first year free, so I'm only investing my time, effort and seeds for the first year.

Comment

Originally posted by newtonuk View Post
                    I've asked the council if they can source any topsoil, compost, manure, anything to add mass to the allotment, but they can't offer any help whatsoever. I have got the first year free, so I'm only investing my time, effort and seeds for the first year.
                    Thats good to know that you have a rent free period. Hopefully you'll get something soirted before you have to start paying rent.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

When it warms up a bit, have a plot BBQ party..........provide the burgers & beers & ask other plot holders to give you a hand, if only for a day.
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X