Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have i done!!! Newbie Allotmenteer!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have i done!!! Newbie Allotmenteer!!

Howdo everyone!!

Hope your all well!!!

Well after a quick phone call this week im the proud renter of a "starter plot" 7mx7m. Its hardly overgrow in fact its in pretty good shape!!!

I met a lovely gentleman this morning who showed me my plot, got me signed up, showed me the shop and then gave me my free onions!!!

Any advice for a newbie??? Id like to start growing over the winter if thats possible.

Thanks in advance, Jamie

Hi Jamie and welcome to the Vine.
    Congrats on getting a plot so quickly too
    You could plant onion sets, garlic, broad beans and overwintering peas now. Its also a good time to plan for next year. Make a list of what you'd like to grow/eat , find out when to sow them and what they need to thrive.
    Its an adventure - enjoy it

Comment

Fantastic!!!

Bet You can't stop grinning?!

Welcome to the Vine...we're a nosy bunch and love to see what others get up to on their new plots

Advice?
      Yep.....pester us for advice and make a long list of what you like eating and don't like
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi and welcome to the vine

Sounds like you are now part of a lovely site. Have fun

Comment

Hi and welcome to the Grapevine
          Lots of reading and planning in order, list what you like to eat and then decide how much you want to grow, plan the layout of the plot are you digging it all or splitting it up with paths to assist in crop rotation and access? Read blogs and see what other people have done, ask questions there is no such thing as a silly question. Take lots of photos of your progress, they are good to look back on. I've recorded my diary on by blog which helps me review the improvement year by year.
          sigpic
          . .......Man Vs Slug
          Click Here for my Diary and Blog
          Nutters Club Member

Comment

Hello Jamie & welcome to the Jungle, I can only echo what has already been said. It's a perfect time for planning your plot for when the busy time starts in spring. The only thing I have not seen mentioned is a Greenhouse, Compost Bin & Shed. If you have room all 3 would be advisable. Both the Greenhouse & Shed can also be used to collect rainwater into water butts.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hi Jamie and welcome to the vine. Congratulations on your starter plot - are all the plots this size or are you able to graduate to a larger one later on?

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
              ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Hi Jamie - welcome to the vine.
                aka
                Suzie

Comment

Welcome to the vine
                  I can't really add anything else to the advice you've had. Apart from this veggie gardening lark is very addictive and you will soon be hoarding packets of seeds like your life depended on it ......and it's BRILLIANT

Comment

Hello and can I add my welcome too.

In addition to all the other suggestions I would start amassing autmn leaves and bagging them or placeing them in a chicken wire holder. Any other compostables you might find round and about, wood chippings is another favourite and of course farm/stable manure thats going for free.

Build your compost resources because you'll need them in due course. Sheet over you nice clean beds (cardboard or black plastic) to keep out the light and prevent weeds germinating, better still put some compostables under the sheet and let nature take it's course, that way the beds will be ready to seed in the spring.

Comment

Hi, and welcome.

I know it has already been said but do write down everything you do. What you sowed, when, and where you put it, by which I mean, which windowsill in the house

Also, think about what you like to eat and when. In our case we don't really have 'hot dinners' in the summer months so I'm looking at veg that stands well in the ground.
                      Just to give you something to think about.

Comment

Hi Jamie

As a recently new allotmenteer myself, my advice would be soak up the info from the more enlightened ones and don't buy anything before asking around, 9/10 someone will have or know a someone who can get what you are looking for cheaply/free.
                        Good luck.

Mike.

Comment

Welcome mate. I remember the buzz from getting my first plot.

People here have already made some excellent points here, and this forum is very helpful to me. You can use the search to find answers to your questions, or start a new topic and often their will be a ton of advice and opinions. I think it's wise also to listen to advice from people at your allotment as well, and also make your own decisions.

I recommend setting up a compost bin, the sooner that is up and running the sooner you'll have compost to use. Also gather up leaves and make a separate pile to create leaf mold. Again, ask around at your allotment before buying anything, someone could easily have some tools that you could have/borrow. Alternatively look for cheap/freebies on gumtree, ebay etc, you can also find pallets and scaffolding boards handy.

Get some peas, beans and garlic in now, or start preparing for next year. Another tip from my experience is not to try and grow too much, plan well and you can utilise all available space without crowding.

Good and bad times ahead. Have fun.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X