'Trenching' rather than composting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Trenching' rather than composting

Friend of mine on the plot - who is 'probably' the best / most knowledgeable grower on the site doesn't really bother with compost bins - instead at this time of year he digs trenches and buries any and all green waste a couple of feet down. The odd thing gets ridged up too - seems to work very well for him.
    Anyone else do / done this ?
    (I've got too many compost bins to easily be persuaded but I'm not the grower he is so...)

Last edited by Baldy; 02-11-2016, 10:19 PM. Reason: to to typoo
    sigpic
    1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Bit too much like hard work for me!

Comment

Did it once on a bed that needed loads of humus. Worked well but hard work. Now I only trench for squashes and sometimes beans. On the whole I chop and drop, Ruth Stout style. Lots less work and the worms do it for me!
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

My Dad used to do a mix of double digging and trenching (so the trench moved behind the last but not until it was full). This time of year it also had bird carcasses thrown in as well (mainly pheasants). Really couldn't fault the produce. I don't recall him using nets or fleece back then.

Comment

As far as I know waste dropped into a trench exposes it to fungal threads in the soil which will then connect to plant roots (when they're planted) and increase available food supply.
          I don't do it that way but it forms part of the "soil food web".
          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Only ever done it for the runner beans, green manure and chop and drop
            sigpic
            . .......Man Vs Slug
            Click Here for my Diary and Blog
            Nutters Club Member

Comment

Never done it - compost is used in pots & the beds get manure & spent compost. You could do a very detailed side by side comparison for us - logging contents of trench/compost, man hours put in/ water used & yield. Lot of work for you but interesting for us
              Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
                Only ever done it for the runner beans, green manure and chop and drop
                Like Cad I've only ever done trenching for my permanent bean row.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

A fellow on our site took on a weed encrusted plot. By weeds, I mean stuff that was a metre high!
                  He dug a deep hole in the corner of each bed and burried the weeds from that bed in that hole. Everyone thought he was a nutter but it seemed to work.

Shame he's never been seen again, and the weeds on the plot are a metre high again!

I just dibbled tatties in to my new plot in the spring and the tattie foliage blanked out the weeds!

As you were..............................
                  Last edited by Snadger; 03-11-2016, 08:54 AM.
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I tend to this method when planting directly in the ground as my soil is very thin and sandy(only a mile from the sea). Raised beds are a different matter as I can control the soil more easily for the intended crop. Compost for the roots bed and manure for everything else.

Comment

I've been burrying everything for the last 3 years .my plot is about a foot higher than everyone else's and probably has the least amount of weeds as well
                      When you have a hammer in your hand everything around you starts looking like a nail.

Comment

I compost, use animal muck (rotted) and when I double dig I stir compost in the bottom with a fork and then drop cardboard and fresher material in the furrow with muck and anything organic to to bury too. I do small stubborn patches each year but once it's been done and then mulched over for a season it is beautiful crumbly soil (from clay).
                        I like to smash sunflower stems and things like cabbage stems in the furrow, they breakdown over winter and feed the plants next summer. Just break them open so the worms and microbes can get in there. Autumn leaves too will go straigh tin as well as part rotted wood chips or sawdust.

Comment

was doing this initially like dig a hole and fill it with kitchen waste and then cover it with soil. done couple of times ,that's it..it was effective though. seems fill as you dig could be better way to continue.

Comment

I do this for the bean trench, and usually for the brassicas where moisture and nutrition is key
                            Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Making Compost.

Rotting down organic matter in a trench is a good way of making Organic Matter, the trench system is usually done for a particular crop to be grown directly on top, for example Runner Beans, or any other moisture loving crop.

I compost in bins because I grow at home, so no room for a trench also composting in bins means I have the rotted material ready for wherever I need it.

I guess the most important thing is to compost in any form that suites the composter.

Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X