People not wanting plots anymore?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
    We've got 50 plots and always have about 20 peeps on the waiting list - my feeling is that its notquite so popular as a 'thing to try' as it was 6 or 7 years ago.. but there is still an interest here (at least until I interview 'em .. ) )
    Interview them? Our interview consists of "Please, please take a plot" (on bended knee!)
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
      I got my first plot at Mill Green when there was no waiting list because basically all those on it had seen the amount of work needed and had though no way. Me, I took what appeared to be the half plot out of the three available that appeared to need the least amount of work. This year we have 3 half plots available and 8 on the waiting list and the council still have not sent me anyone to view (I'm the site Rep)

Four years later I have taken another full plot on a different site (Spencer Road) due to access problems at Mill Green for the next three years whilst they develop the old industrial area into residential. This time knowing more I negotiated the first year free as it required a lot of clearing. I'm on the committee at Spencer Road which is a much larger site than Mill Green and at one stage there was no one on the waiting list.

The Rep on Spencer Road and I asked for some of those on the Mill Green waiting list to also be invited to look at Spencer Road as they are literally around the corner from each other, but both are not on main drag roads.
      I know it's more work, but could the council give you the waiting list to manage? That way at least vacated plots could be relet quickly.
      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

The Council did the 'halve big plots as they become available' thing, which I don't agree with, but as a result waiting lists are now small (only about 67 for the whole of Ashford).
        On the plus side it has meant that some people, who kept their small plots clean and producing well, have been allowed another plot on our small site. This hasn't happened at all for many years.

The council also altered the Terms & Conditions so people pay for the year in advance, which puts some people off, and have made it easier to terminate leases of those who are not bothering. A quicker turn-round benefits the council and the other tenants.
        Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 22-10-2016, 09:07 AM. Reason: now it makes sense!

Comment

Local sites have no waiting lists. Well one does with people from well outside the area.
          Not sure what's gone on really.

I know one site ripped up their list when a new secretary found that people had either been snaffled by other sites or didn't want a plot any more, had moved, or changed number.

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
            I know it's more work, but could the council give you the waiting list to manage? That way at least vacated plots could be relet quickly.
            They the Council Parks department are in the process of being taken over by a contractor who will look after Kingston, Croydon, Sutton & Merton so everything will change next Feb March anyway.

Central Government have been gradually tearing local government apart for the last 30 years and it's only going to get worse, even EastEnders are using the changes to the garbage collection as a storyline.
            sigpic
            . .......Man Vs Slug
            Click Here for my Diary and Blog
            Nutters Club Member

Comment

We're fairly small site and when I took my first plot on over ten years ago I only had a wait of a few months. The peak came about 5 years ago when the list got to about 20, a wait of a couple of years. Now all plots are taken, although the waiting list is almost down to zero. Our biggest turn over time is March when the rent is due. We're have quite a few people who, as said previously, have no idea of the work involved and only last a few weeks.

Comment

Not got this problem in my area. Was on the waiting list since 21y/o, only just got mine (4yrs waiting)! And that's because they opened a new site.
                "You never really understand a person until you look at things from their point of view, until you step into their skin and walk around in it" - Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

Comment

I was on the waiting list for 2 years until I go my plot this year.
                  Carrie

Comment

I had read in the media that allotmenteering and GYO has declined sharply of late..maybe as suggested..everyone's baking now!?

We have had a surprising turn over of new plot holders in the past couple of years, but our allotments are still very much in demand.
                    <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

I'm in West Sussex. On my allotments there is no waiting list at present.However about 8 mins walk into the village there's a 3yr+ waiting list! Though the number of allotments is smaller there, it's the pretty location that's the pull at the back of the village high street and pond. A number of folk who still occupy plots on my allotments badly neglect them unfortunately. As mentioned earlier they take them on do a bit of clearing / spread some weed killer and plant a few bits then don't return for months. Of course we don't know people's personal circumstances to be fair. My allotment charges are very cheap too.
                      I do think there's a down turn in interest though.

Comment

I have been waiting about 4 years now but noticed a site a little further away only had 6 on the list so have transfered to that in the hope I get something before next spring.

Comment

Annoyingly I have been chasing the allotment officer to send me the first 3 on the waiting list of eight for the last two months after we had two tenants given their marching orders and one old chad gave his plot up. But she will not send anyone until she knows how many others do not renew their plots.

IMHO it's disgusting three plots could have been worked on for the last two months.
                          sigpic
                          . .......Man Vs Slug
                          Nutters Club Member

Comment

I agree someone could be getting those prepped ready for spring

Think I will phone the council's allotment officer on Monday see what's happening. I spoke to the allotment federation officer at the site about 6 weeks ago and he said non cultivation letters had been issued so fingers crossed will hear soon.

Comment

Originally posted by worm74 View Post
                              I agree someone could be getting those prepped ready for spring

Think I will phone the council's allotment officer on Monday see what's happening. I spoke to the allotment federation officer at the site about 6 weeks ago and he said non cultivation letters had been issued so fingers crossed will hear soon.
                              Non cultivation letters would have been sent early on they would be sending the notice to quit letters if anything this time of the year if you're in the UK
                              sigpic
                              . .......Man Vs Slug
                              Nutters Club Member

Comment

Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
                                Non cultivation letters would have been sent early on they would be sending the notice to quit letters if anything this time of the year if you're in the UK
                                Timetables vary greatly plot to plot

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X