Compost sifter

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compost sifter

Anyone bought a large compost sifter? We are looking for one for our allotment to sift large batches of compost we get from council, usually a lot of twigs included. Found this one via google, any one got something similar? Must be hand turning, no electrics or generator on site.

Steel Fine Composter - Manufactum

Cannot help you,but,son got an old cement mixer barrel,cut out 4 large holes,welded in some suitable mesh,this has been used loads of times,to sift out the soil heap in our garden,it was originally done for sand,just change the drum for mixing cement,it's a brilliant idea he had,all it cost was a 10ner for the drum,the rest was from the man stores,just to add and claify the drum was used on the mixer to turn it,whist you shuvel the stuff in,
    Last edited by lottie dolly; 09-10-2016, 06:26 PM.
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

260 Squid for a sifter?........................You must be made o' money...........Spend 20 squid & let your imagination run riot...................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nr6nWoNPVU
      Last edited by Bigmallly; 09-10-2016, 06:34 PM.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I watched that one last night and think I may have a shopping trolley frame somewhere.

Could always add a cordless reciprocating saw or a drill with a cam shaft.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

There's loads of info on Utube if you don't mind putting the work in.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

I've been looking through quite a few of them - need something to do at work.

Might give a project over winter.

After I've rebuilt the beds in the New Territories.

Which is after putting up the frame to the polytunnel.

Which is after digging out the junk at the back and levelling the ground for the polytunnel.

Which is after clearing the area to actually get to the ground where I'm going to out the polytunnel.

Which, of course is after I've burned that pile of manky wood (keeping any decent enough to make a sifter) so I can move the stuff on the ground into a new pile to burn.

Which will start in November.

Between now and November I can try and find that shopping trolley.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Whitley Bay... that'll be the place to go... last time I was there (20 plus years to be honest ) noticed a lot of shopping trolleys. (That was quite a night)
              sigpic
              1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Its the bigger pieces that give the air gaps in the soil/compost.Theres moisture under every stone. Sometimes sieving for fine-ness can cause the ground to set like concrete once it rains!
                People gather mole hills then wonder why there plants are concreted into the soil and they can't get them out!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                  260 Squid for a sifter?........................You must be made o' money...........Spend 20 squid & let your imagination run riot...................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nr6nWoNPVU
                  It's for use by all 30 allotment holders. We get 14-15 tonnes of council "pod compost" delivered at a time. It's ok for some areas but requires sifting for others.

Comment

Snadger sounds very knowledgeable doesn't he...
                    sigpic

Comment

That's how you get to be MOM i guess....
                      sigpic

Comment

Back on topic - I've got a series of mesh / chicken wire that I have framed with pallet wood and 'shake it baby' works quite well - cost me nowt but I'm lazy so compared with the weeds and slugs and wind damage and all that my (sometimes) finely sorted compost gets good seedlings that then only go on to disappoint due to everything else I've done wrong.
                        sigpic

Comment

The only time I would consider sifting is if I needed a bit of seed compost.

Comment

Yootoob has a selection of inventive 'trammel' devices, essentially a drum made of mesh wrapped around two bicycle rims with solid end sections added on. placed on a fram horizontally and angled down in the direction of flow. feed in the high end while the drum is turned and the large chunks fall out the other end while the sifted materiel gathers underneath.
                            In your case I'd be looking for something to provide the rotory motion. Cost should be under £50 for hardware.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X