No announcement yet.

Optimum size of allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pooleman if this is your only chance to grow veg I'd go for it unless the cost is way over the top. I grow in my back garden I don't have a lot of space probably 3 beds 4ft by 12ft plus a permanent bean row and some fruit but its enough to be able to eat something I've grown most days.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Can you stay on the waiting list for a bigger plot & use this smaller one for however many years while you wait? I grow in my garden same as Bren,I don't have acres but use the space well,use windowsills don't need a greenhouse,you can grow a lot & have a turnover of plants so when one crop comes out,have another ready to go in. You can grow a lot in a small space.

Comment

If they're charging per square metre it seems fair,like in this example;
        "The current rent*for an allotment plot which includes water charges*is £0.66 pence*per square metre which will rise to £0.74 pence per square metre on 01 October 2017"
        poole.gov.uk - Allotments

Comment

Really not concerned about the rent being charged but my question was regarding the viability of growing varieties of Veg, maintaining crop rotation and other practical solutions on a very small plot.

Many thanks to those that have replied.

Comment

As far as crop rotation goes, I wouldn't worry on such a small plot - as long as you add to/replace/dig over the soil each season I doubt diseases will build up. Obviously you're not going to be self sufficient or anything with such limited space, so just grow a little of the things you love to eat, learn what works and what doesn't, and enjoy the experience till something bigger turns up.
            He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by Pooleman View Post
              Really not concerned about the rent being charged but my question was regarding the viability of growing varieties of Veg, maintaining crop rotation and other practical solutions on a very small plot.

Many thanks to those that have replied.
              If you can then, I'd focus on vertical crops like beans and achocha which crop heavily in a small space. Using structures like munty frames means you have still got growing space under the eventual canopy. I also use most of my paths for large pots, which also the means extra growing space. I re-use the compost so it doesn't cost the earth to fill them. Could you put a large blowaway on part of one of the beds? That would give you greenhouse space... Look forward to seeing pics of what you've done!
              http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X