No announcement yet.

Hello on the day I got my allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What! No fruit trees?...........................
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Your Raspberries may shade the Strawbs, I would put the Rasps at the back. (North Side)
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
        Your Raspberries may shade the Strawbs, I would put the Rasps at the back. (North Side)
        Hmm I had wondered about that myself. Might have to have a rethink.

Comment

Rasperries at the back, then Goosegogs, then Rhubarb, then Strawbs at the front.

Comment

Very late to the party - welcome

Sunderland(ish)?
            aka
            Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
              Very late to the party - welcome

Sunderland(ish)?
              I live on an island on the South coast. Hayling Island. My family are from Sunderland but I was among the first born down here. I was a Sunderland season ticket holder for some years and used to travel 700 miles round trip every two weeks to watch them - left home 5am and got back 1am next morning - hence the 'Mad' in MadMackem.

Comment

Ah yes. Hubster is a Sunderland laddie
                aka
                Suzie

Comment

Hi yah Mad Mackem, hmmm - never mind no ones perfect

Welcome to the vine, good news on your plot.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                  ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                  ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

My arms ache, my legs ache and my back aches - I'd forgotten just how bloody HARD gardening can be. Especially when your plot hasn't been dug for nearly 5 years.

Comment

Presume your plan is to scale then looks like a lot of gooseberries?? Maybe some blackcurrant and redcurrant bushes too??
                      I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                      sigpic

Comment

Just thinking that too Tripmeup!

I got more googsegogs than I could manage off one plant last year (would have this year too if I didn't look at the amount I still had in the freezer and as jam and decide the birds could just help themselves this time).

Could make gallons of gooseberry wine I suppose, might have to try that myself next year, if the #2 plant starts producing!
                        My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

Originally posted by Tripmeup View Post
                          Presume your plan is to scale then looks like a lot of gooseberries?? Maybe some blackcurrant and redcurrant bushes too??
                          3 early and 3 late. We like gooseberries no so keen on currants.

Comment

Right - that's IT. I've lost patience with my plot. hard as iron, compacted for 5 years and treated like the local tip. I've cleared the 'tip' and hired a 15hp rotator for a day. Against all advice, I'm going to rot ovate it to give myself a chance.

I know I'll probably chop up weed roots but, if i do it all by hand, I'lll still be trying to get on top of it in 3 years time. So I'm going to dig it in deep and cover it over. I'll plant the fruit direct through slits in the membrane and uncover the veg plot as I need it.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMackem View Post
                              Right - that's IT. I've lost patience with my plot. hard as iron, compacted for 5 years and treated like the local tip. I've cleared the 'tip' and hired a 15hp rotator for a day. Against all advice, I'm going to rot ovate it to give myself a chance.

I know I'll probably chop up weed roots but, if i do it all by hand, I'lll still be trying to get on top of it in 3 years time. So I'm going to dig it in deep and cover it over. I'll plant the fruit direct through slits in the membrane and uncover the veg plot as I need it.
                              You don't need to dig or rotovate it. Jusyt cover it with cardboard and plant through it.. If you can get some for nowt or cheap, add a bit of muck to keep the cardboard down.
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by MadMackem View Post

I know I'll probably chop up weed roots but, if i do it all by hand, I'll still be trying to get on top of it in 3 years time. So I'm going to dig it in deep and cover it over. I'll plant the fruit direct through slits in the membrane and uncover the veg plot as I need it.
                                You'll probably find that if your ground is iron hard, the rotavator tines will bounce off too. There's not much weight in the smaller ones and even the big cultivators don't have the weight to dig into very hard ground. Unless you know a friendly farmer with a tractor and a plowshare then you're probably not going to have much success and end up getting more frustrated.

As Snadger says, covering the ground over will help soften the soil and if you can open up the ground up a little bit then any frost we get over winter will help to break it up too. You could cover most and just try to work on sections. Unfortunately there's no magic solution. I'm not against rotavators as such as I believe they have their uses but they're not the magic bullet some people think they are.
                                Posted on an iPad so apologies for any randomly auto-corrected gobbledegook

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X