Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Allotment

Collapse

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Allotment

    Hello everyone!

    I have just received a letter from my local council offering me an allotment! After a couple of years of waiting, I finally have one! YEY! And its very close to me in Leigh, Wigan.

    Up until now, though, I've only ever been able to container-garden due to very limited space and undertaking the allotment is a new thing for me!

    I am posting to ask for general advice for someone who is starting up with a new allotment, what should i look out for on my viewing? Can you suggest any staples to keep around such as tools? What do you recommend for pest control? Things like that. I'm aware of crop rotations and planting times etc, I'm thinking more about up-keep, maintenance, handy tips and tricks!

    All advice gratefully received!
    New_Bud
    "You never really understand a person until you look at things from their point of view, until you step into their skin and walk around in it" - Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

  • #2
    I can't help you with your questions New_Bud I'm a back garden grower so instead I'll say welcome back to the vine

    Comment


    • #3
      Brilliant New Bud - chuffed to bits for you.

      Now, it's Sunday evening - the only people working are those that save us and serve us (and possibly others the government don't give a toss about).

      So if your free... you sit back..... pour yourself a drink... and get jizzy about what awaits you.

      It's such a perfect time.

      Think about what you've got to do over the coming months - that might mean, strimming, cutting, clearing, digging, covering, lifting, vomiting, running away, returning, and getting right down and dirty.

      Then the great bit is planning.

      Get the brain juices flowing - how do see your perfect 'paradise'. What you do need to do to get there, and think at all times - this is bladdy life changing, innit.

      Because, your whole way of thinking about things will change - that scruffy skip of the neighbours is now a treasure trove, the crap you normally chuck in the bin, just 'might' have another use.

      Anyway, I'm rambling - what you have to do is start having the best fun ever.
      Last edited by KevinM67; 18-09-2016, 08:37 PM.
      .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

      My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

      Comment


      • #4
        Haha! Totally know that feeling! I'm an Early Years teacher and since i started training/working (1 year ago) I've found I never throw anything away! Plus i can do projects with the children - double-winner!

        Will post pics of the allotment when I've been to it, see if you guys can suggest anything for areas! Thank you for the heads-up! It's definitely helped me to plan what i may need to do and what to bring!


        Originally posted by KevinM67 View Post
        Brilliant New Bud - chuffed to bits for you.

        Now, it's Sunday evening - the only people working are those that save us and serve us (and possibly others the government don't give a toss about).

        So if your free... you sit back..... pour yourself a drink... and get jizzy about what awaits you.

        It's such a perfect time.

        Think about what you've got to do over the coming months - that might mean, strimming, cutting, clearing, digging, covering, lifting, vomiting, running away, returning, and getting right down and dirty.

        Then the great bit is planning.

        Get the brain juices flowing - how do see your perfect 'paradise'. What you do need to do to get there, and think at all times - this is bladdy life changing, innit.

        Because, your whole way of thinking about things will change - that scruffy skip of the neighbours is now a treasure trove, the crap you normally chuck in the bin, just 'might' have another use.

        Anyway, I'm rambling - what you have to do is start having the best fun ever.
        "You never really understand a person until you look at things from their point of view, until you step into their skin and walk around in it" - Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

        Comment


        • #5
          New Bud - I love you !!!

          The kids will love it, and so will you.

          This is proper 'curriculum' stuff - this is the education we should all know about - how we feed ourselves !!!

          However, no doubt - you'll spend your professional life under pressure to produce amenable little Robots that appease our masters, and are ripe to be brainwashed into our society's capitalist values.

          God bless our education system.
          .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

          My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi New Bud and congratulations on your new plot!
            When are you going to see it? Do you have a choice of plot?
            Ideally, you want somewhere open, not shaded, near a water tap, not overgrown (but that can be sorted). A shed and/or greenhouse would be a bonus.
            Take photos of the plot and of any plants that you can't identify.
            Post them here and we'll do our best to help.

            As you can see, I am one of the sensible ones on here................unlike Kevin

            Comment


            • #7
              VC is correct - there's many things to consider before you jump right in there.
              If you need any advice, there are loads of experts, nearly experts, and people trying to be experts.

              We are all in it together.

              Anyway, when I mentioned earlier about people working on a Sunday evening/night - folks maybe don't think it applies to our teachers.

              In my experience - they work crazy hours (every night and weekends).

              Respect.
              .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

              My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

              Comment


              • #8
                Hi and welcome back.

                I don't wish to bombard you with info at this stage. Just make sure you take piccies of your plot and everyone will soon help. In regards to choosing- pick what feels right. Oh and don't necessarily go for the easy option just for the sake of the easy option.

                Good luck
                Edibles (All In) Seed Saving Circle 2020
                Pea + Bean Seed Saving Circle 2020
                Flower Seed Saving Circle 2020

                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  New_Bud ~ don't believe everything that you read on here ...................

                  All the very best with your new exciting lottie project ....!
                  Looking forward to seeing your 'before' & 'after' piccies...!
                  ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                  a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                  - Author Unknown ~~~

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by KevinM67 View Post
                    New Bud - I love you !!!

                    The kids will love it, and so will you.

                    This is proper 'curriculum' stuff - this is the education we should all know about - how we feed ourselves !!!

                    However, no doubt - you'll spend your professional life under pressure to produce amenable little Robots that appease our masters, and are ripe to be brainwashed into our society's capitalist values.

                    God bless our education system.
                    Haha! That's the lovely thing about Early Years! No robots in sight xD

                    Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Hi New Bud and congratulations on your new plot!
                    When are you going to see it? Do you have a choice of plot?
                    Ideally, you want somewhere open, not shaded, near a water tap, not overgrown (but that can be sorted). A shed and/or greenhouse would be a bonus.
                    Take photos of the plot and of any plants that you can't identify.
                    Post them here and we'll do our best to help.

                    As you can see, I am one of the sensible ones on here................unlike Kevin
                    Not sure WHEN officially yet, but i drove down and had a sneak peek today out of curiosity. Seems like a very open site, not shaded. Roughly 10x3m plot I'd say, ROUGHLY. Rectangular. I have plans in my mind already xD Not sure which one exactly was mine, but they were all that same size. Not overgrown, everything was cut low, grass height. Doesn't look like much chance of finding hidden-treasure established plants xD but that's okay. All in all, quite excited over what I saw! Will ask key questions when I have the viewing, but the council member I needed to contact hasn't responded to me yet.
                    "You never really understand a person until you look at things from their point of view, until you step into their skin and walk around in it" - Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by New_Bud View Post
                      Haha! That's the lovely thing about Early Years! No robots in sight xD



                      Not sure WHEN officially yet, but i drove down and had a sneak peek today out of curiosity. Seems like a very open site, not shaded. Roughly 10x3m plot I'd say, ROUGHLY. Rectangular. I have plans in my mind already xD Not sure which one exactly was mine, but they were all that same size. Not overgrown, everything was cut low, grass height. Doesn't look like much chance of finding hidden-treasure established plants xD but that's okay. All in all, quite excited over what I saw! Will ask key questions when I have the viewing, but the council member I needed to contact hasn't responded to me yet.
                      Key questions I had in mind when I went to visit mine were :

                      What's the vehicle access and parking like on a Saturday when everyone's there
                      Are sheds and greenhouses allowed, if so is there a size limit or construction materials limit (e.g. metal, wood etc) and what sort of base is allowed
                      What are the rules/preference regarding power tools
                      What are the rules regarding veg versus flowers ,use of weedkillers etc
                      What is the security like - any known problems with theft or vandalism

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Make sure you c get secure sheds if you keep your equipment on the allotment. Good luck!

                        Comment

                        Latest Topics

                        Collapse

                        Recent Blog Posts

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X