Tomatoes in standing water

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomatoes in standing water

Has anyone grown tomatoes by placing the pots in a tray of water? I have just discovered that one of our plot holders has been doing this for years with success. When I research just about every article says not to do this. Think I may try a wee experiment next year.

I have a friend who does this....and his tomatoes are always better than mine!

My friend (a lifelong gardener) is now almost totally blind and has had to adapt how he does things.
    So now has a narrow trench the length of his plot into which he inserts growbags (on their long side edge) so that the other long side edge is just proud of the surface....this is so hard to explain in a post!
    He slits open the (now top) side edge

He plants the toms, three to a bag, and tops up the growbags with water.
    Once a week, he tops them up again.

At the end of the season, the growbags are removed so that new ones can be put in next year.

Therefore, his toms are always in exactly the same place and he always grows exactly the same number.
    They always thrive and give huge harvests even though their feet are always in water.
    http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

My toms in the extension to the little house I mean shed on the allotment are grown in small pots that are standing in large gravel trays that get refilled once a week so at the start of the week they are standing in 50mm or 2" of water.
      Attached Files
      sigpic
      . .......Man Vs Slug
      Click Here for my Diary and Blog
      Nutters Club Member

Comment

I use Quadgrows. The plant roots have run down the wicks and there's loads in the troughs which have about 4 inches of water in them.

If you are using Quadgrows check the water level in the troughs. Last year roots blocked some of the piping!
        Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

I always find that tomatoes that get a lot of water tend to be a bit tasteless - wouldn't this method cause the same problem?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            I always find that tomatoes that get a lot of water tend to be a bit tasteless - wouldn't this method cause the same problem?
            Alison, I always think it's a tricky one to balance ...... Not enough water and they just won't thrive, and too much, as you say, makes them rather bland..... And also with erratic watering, you've got the problem with fruits splitting .....

I just aim to water them on a daily basis, and I'm pleased with results, taste and growth wise. I feed once a week ...
            Although I do understand that not everyone can impose a daily watering regime because of time, other commitments etc etc
            ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
            a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
            - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

I've always stood my toms in water they are in gravel trays without any gravel. I didn't know you're not meant too! I water them when they are dry at the top and fill the tray with water, then leave them till they need watering again I always wait until the top 2 inches or so of compost is completely dry. They seem to be fine and taste great. Just shows how ignorance can be bliss
              Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Originally posted by Bal View Post
                I've always stood my toms in water they are in gravel trays without any gravel. I didn't know you're not meant too! I water them when they are dry at the top and fill the tray with water, then leave them till they need watering again I always wait until the top 2 inches or so of compost is completely dry. They seem to be fine and taste great. Just shows how ignorance can be bliss
                Maybe got you wrong here. Are you saying you have the pots in trays of water but also water from top? Or was that just the first watering?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X