No announcement yet.

New allotment holder, advice and options needed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My tablet died so never replied until now as needed a replacement. Anyways, again, thanks for the replies. I guess it sounds slightly reassuring to hear I don't have that big a problem with the type of weeds as I could have had.

I'm now looking at a previously mentioned flame thrower option to see how that goes unless there is a reason I'm missing not to use such an option?. I know either way it will still require loads of digging all the same. But more looking at the most practical option to get the weed growth down to ground level. Yes, a decent strimmer would still be the quickest option (if ever I can track down the site's communal petrol strimmer). But I still can't help thinking that strimmer cutting everything down at a point where many weeds are likely in seeding stage may well make things worse in the long term come next year as surerly I'd be spreading the seeds by cutting and thus using a strimmer may well be a less effective option in the long term?.

Comment

More options.

Strim/chop the tops and compost over winter in a big heap. turn it a couple of times and it will be hot enough to kill the seeds etc.

Fork out the marestail if you have time as you should other perenials. Put them in a black bin bag and leave 12 months to rot before adding to the compost.

You can weed kill with vinegar and it won't impact the following crops!

Cover the beds/soil with sheets of brown cardboard (old boxes) and if you can get it, loads of chipped tree trimmings. Leave until the late winter or early spring and it will be clear of weeds and easy to fork over.

Comment

I was in Home Bargins last weekend and got a refill gas bottle for my flame gun ,they had flame guns for sale ,also had weed cover membrane, if you are fit enough you could use a hadoe to skim the top off the weeds or use your spade to skim them off.
        atb. Dal
        Last edited by Dalrimple; 13-07-2016, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Well cutting down ain't going to be a problem now. As was in the new local Aldi that opens today with the other half looking at the new store offers (as she wanted a steam mop on offer) and noted the gardening section and they had 2in1 petrol grass\brush trimmers on offer from £99.99 to £49.99!. Wasn't going to leave them there at that price with our weed issues as hiring 1 (as can't find the communal 1) for a week would have cost that. Might not be the best quality but 3 year warranty, not to bothered for £50 and could have paid more for a used petrol trimmer.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X