Introducing Lottie, my first ever allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing Lottie, my first ever allotment

Hi all, so last night I got to see my plot and oh eck its overgrown....but I love it

I'm completely new to this and having mixed emotions ranging from 'What have I done' to 'Eeek I can't wait to get clearing'.

So without further ado here is Lottie (I hope these pics work)

Attached Files
    Last edited by FlowerpotGirl; 09-06-2016, 09:24 AM. Reason: Added the same pic twice...

A good morning and warm welcome to our Vine, FlowerpotGirl!
    You've come to the right place for ideas/help/inspiration/chat/moan/giggle.....

Your lottie looks rather lush, FPG ..! It's good to have the before/after pictures, just so you can see how much you achieve ..!

Do you have a plan of attack for lottie?
    ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
    a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
    - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Welcome to the vine.

That's plenty of good grass you've got there! My plot started off in a similar condition and has been known to revert in part at least (and all of it last year) when weather or other circumstances have got in the way. Photos are a good idea. It all looks a bit daunting at first, but it's manageable if you do it a little at a time and give yourself plenty of pats on the back as you look back and see what you've accomplished.

Comment

Thank you sorry what does FPG mean? See that's how new I am haha.

Plan of attack....well tonight I'm going up to hand trim the edges so I can see exactly how big my bit is. The adjoining plot is abandoned too and its grown into one mass so its hard to tell. I did find the dividing path last night (where the photos are taken from) but if I don't clear the edges I'll soon lose it again lol.

Next stage will be to hand cut the weeds and grass down so I have a clear view. The Allotment guy offered to cut it all down with a strimmer for me, but I've already found some hidden rhubarb and raspberries and wonder what else could be hiding in there that I might lose if its gets hacked.

Walking over it last night it has dodgy chipboard raised beds and corrugated plastic in places. I'll be removing all of that and taking it to the dump. The good news is there were glimpses of soil! There are lots of bits of carpet to clear too. I have a feeling some of the grass is growing on the carpet! I'm a bit wary of uncovering a Adder or something though. It must be perfect for things like that and according to my plot neighbour its been left for a year.

I guess then its a case of seeing what is where and making a small bed to get me started while I clear the rest of it slowly and by hand. I know its an old fashioned way of working but I want the work. I want to lose weight and to know everything achieved on that plot was through hard work and determination

Comment

Hi and welcome to the vine FPG is short for your name I'm usually abbreviated to NVG
          Think you have a good plan of action. I stripped everything off my new plot it had loads of rubbish and junk on it. Did find a couple of wheel barrows and various tools down there. Keep the corrugated plastic. I got some for my dad and he has made 4 new cold frames with it.
          Think the adders will move if they hear you moving stuff about.
          So welcome again and any questions just ask away. Very friendly and knowledgeable bunch here
          sigpic

Comment

Flobber Lob a Lob, OK could not resist.

Take it slow have fun and take lots of photographs as you go along as they are really good to look back on as you make progress. Think about if you want to clear and grow every year or put in formal beds and paths.

Personally I find beds and formal paths better as I can deal with a bed or two at a time, and I'm not constantly fighting weeds on the paths. My Diary / Blog records my progress from 2012 when I took my first plot over and 2015 when I took on my second plot.

You can set up a Diary or Blog off here or Blogger or many other formats, but I find it useful for looking back at what worked and what didn't during the winter when I plan how I'm going to attack the next growing season.
            Last edited by Cadalot; 09-06-2016, 10:28 AM.
            sigpic
            . .......Man Vs Slug
            Click Here for my Diary and Blog
            Nutters Club Member

Comment

Originally posted by noviceveggrower View Post
              Hi and welcome to the vine FPG is short for your name I'm usually abbreviated to NVG
              Aha that made me laugh. I thought it was some technical term about the grass lol.

Thank you for the welcome and advise. I did notice a lot of litter on it too. Discarded tomato feed bottles etc. There are some treasures too, I noticed some fruit netting I shall do the previous tenant proud (sadly I heard he'd passed away last year)

I love the position of the plot. I'm near the water source, but not so near that I'll get a lot of foot traffic distracting me. The best bit is that though my lease doesn't start till the 21st June, I'm allowed on now to start clearing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
                Flobber Lob a Lob, OK could not resist.

Take it slow have fun and take lots of photographs as you go along as they are really good to look back on as you make progress. Think about if you want to clear and grow every year or put in formal beds and paths.

Personally I find beds and formal paths better as I can deal with a bed or two at a time, and I'm not constantly fighting weeds on the paths. My Diary / Blog records my progress from 2012 when I took my first plot over and 2015 when I took on my second plot.

You can set up a Diary or Blog off here or Blogger or many other formats, but I find it useful for looking back at what worked and what didn't during the winter when I plan how I'm going to attack the next growing season.
                lol feel free to Flobber lob a lob haha. I got stuck choosing a name and this was about my 1 hundredth attempt to get one that hadn't been taken already

I very much feel I'll be the same as you and have formal paths and beds. I think that will help me with crop rotation too, otherwise I won't really know where I've been and with what haha.

Comment

Fantastic! ...how exciting!

Lots of piccies along the way for us to see too please????

Lush grass= good quality soil ( or it's been raining a lot!!! )....nice plot!
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I promise to photograph the journey The grass is very lush indeed and scattered with wild flowers. I'm hoping it is good soil and not the fact that during the first week of June it rained everyday

Comment

Hello and welcome FPG,i can see my plots looking at your pics,got a lot to catch up on and just when you think you on top,but that is gardening,all the best with it and happy growing.
                      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Hello and welcome hope you enjoy your plot .
                        When you have a hammer in your hand everything around you starts looking like a nail.

Comment

Hi and welcome! Your plot looks lovely - its going to be amazing when you're finished and you definitely have the right attitude.

I look forward to seeing your progress pics!

Comment

Thank you Vixylix I made some headway yesterday....

Day 2.

I had two hours hard graft yesterday evening and managed to find and clear the boundary path between me and next doors plot (sadly abandoned but growing amazing Artichokes and Strawberries). That may not sound like much but it was hidden under thick 4ft grasses and I used hand shears! I've also had a good look round and found that there really isn't much worth saving. That's good really as I'm not dictated to by what was there before.

There are two rows of Raspberry bushes and they must have about 12 bushes per row! That is far too many for me and they are squished in together. It looks really tightly packed and difficult to prune when the time comes. I'm not a big raspberry fan so I'm going to take at least every other one out alternating between the rows to give them some room. I may even take them down to about 6 bushes.

I unearthed a little blackcurrant and get the feeling the person before me was heavily into their fruit. The great news is that a lot of the grass in the previous photos is actually growing on top of carpet! All I have to do is roll the carpet back and job done. The worst areas are the raised beds which have thick rooted grass but luckily they are only small. There is a metal fruit cage thingy but the grass has grown so thickly through it I'm going to have to saw the roots as there isn't enough space to get the shears through.

I won't post daily pictures but I'm pleased with the progress made in two hours

Attached Files

Comment

Yes, FPG(!) it's amazing what a difference a couple of hours work can make - you can see from your last pic that there is definitely a plot there...!!!
                              Glad you're enjoying it so far .. It's what it's all about..!
                              ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                              a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                              - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X