No announcement yet.

My new allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on your very fine acquisition, thought I was lucky with my plot but you have even out-done me with what's been left.

If you Wiki Frog Hoppers you get this:

These families are best known for the nymph stage, which produces a cover of frothed-up plant sap resembling saliva; the nymphs are therefore commonly known as spittlebugs and their froth as cuckoo spit, frog spit or snake spit. The final family in the group, Machaerotidae, is known as the tube spittlebugs because the nymphs live in calcareous tubes, rather than producing froth as in the other families.

The froth serves a number of purposes. It hides the nymph from the view of predators and parasites, it insulates against heat and cold, thus providing thermal control and also moisture control; without the froth the insect would quickly dry up. The nymphs pierce plants and suck sap causing very little damage, much of the filtered fluids go into the production of the froth, which has an acrid taste, deterring predators. A few species are serious agricultural pests.

Its your decision about if they are a threat to anything you plant but by clearing the plants which I expect they are on they will more than likely migrate to weeds. I've never heard about them destroying a crop on an allotment but there is always a first time. The bigger threat this year is from slugs and snails with the mild winter we have had.

I will be looking forward to seeing how much progress you make in the next couple of weeks, I know I'd be pulling a couple a sickies so I could go down and clear it up and dig it over.
    The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

Wow! Jackpot plot!

Comment

Wow Carrie, it looks flippin' fabulous ~~ lots already growing plus from your piccies, it doesn't like its overrun with weeds, either! Bet you can't wait to put your own stamp on it all ..!!!
        ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
        a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
        - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

I've got spittlebugs on various things like my Buddleia but in small numbers,if there's a lot of them on one plant,like my little apple tree last year I squash some to keep the numbers down,if you wipe the spit away there's little green bugs (1 or 2) in there & they do suck sap so they're not beneficial but they're not that bad either. Even though I've got them on a few different plants,they've never invaded my crops,like they prefer older shrubs/trees.

Comment

I have only done one bed on the plot this afternoon. I have mainly been getting rid of weeds. They are everywhere!!

There is one weed on my plot that is really hard to get rid of(Sorry forgot the name but will take a picture tomorrow)

Attached Files
            Last edited by Greenleaves; 28-05-2016, 06:57 PM.
            Carrie

Comment

Marestail? It looked a bit like it in your pics but was hard to say

Comment

Originally posted by cariann88 View Post
                Can someone turn them the right way please?
                Sorry Carrie...I'm out and ive not got enough signal to upload photos. Before uploading your photos please crop them slightly top or bottom and side- it's not much to take off.then they will upload the correct way.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                  Marestail? It looked a bit like it in your pics but was hard to say
                  Yes, I can see mares tail in a few shots.

Comment

I have only done one bed on the plot this afternoon. I have mainly been getting rid of weeds. They are everywhere!!

There is one weed on my plot that is really hard to get rid of(Sorry forgot the name but will take a picture tomorrow)
                    Cover all the beds now with card to stop them growing. Looks lovely Carri.

Comment

The weeds are even on the path around the beds.

Yes I think that is what it's called. Is there no way of getting rid of it for good?

Thanks Scarlet. I will do, some of the beds have flowers and herbs in them.

Noticed he left me last years potatoes in a bed. Will have get rid of that when I get round to that bed.
                      Carrie

Comment

An amazing plot for an amazing person well done it looks brilliant
                        When you have a hammer in your hand everything around you starts looking like a nail.

Comment

The weeds are even on the path around the beds.

Yes I think that is what it's called. Is there no way of getting rid of it for good?
                          If you have Mares Tail then you have the same problem as me, that is you will never get rid of it. Even covering it with black plastic won't kill the roots, soon as you uncover it then it will return. All you can do is dig out as much of the roots and then decapitate it with a hoe whenever it appears to weaken it.

One old guy told me the only herbicide solution is to bruise it with the back of a trowel so the waxy leaves are damaged so the weedkiller can penetrate, then paint neat concentrated roundup on them to kill the roots. As it grows so deep thats the only drastic solution to getting rid of it you can never dig it out.
                          The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

Well done Carrie

One step at a time is fast enough

Comment

There's an old thread here & mention white vinegar for weed killing mares tail & leaving for a couple of weeks before growing anything in there,it might be worth trying on a small area?
                              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ail_70314.html

Comment

Been on the allotment today and have tidied most of one of the greenhouses up. Potted some plants into bigger pots and planted out some potatoes.

Also noticed that some strawberries are on their way
                                Last edited by cariann88; 29-05-2016, 07:30 PM.
                                Carrie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X