Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to the lottie yesterday.(Sunday) Birdsong..just lovely!
    After a few minutes a fellow allotment holder started with his petrol strimmer . It must be an old contraption as it was deafening and spewed out smelly blue smoke at an alarming rate. Not helped by the fact he was strimming against corrugated iron he's surrounded his plot with! It ceased after about 10 mins so not too bad. But he's another retired person..yet waits until a Sunday to be noisey. I think people also overlook that allotments are on council land, it's not your own back garden,and tends to be surrounded by property.so many others are affected by the noise.
    I was I might add being dive bombed by a very aggressive Robin who was happy for me to dig up worms and bugs but in between kept flying at me! That's gratitude for you. Think her baby was near by.

Comment

Hi Ya,
      I have a rotavator and a strimmer. The only way I can cut the grass is with the strimmer. I tend to do it on a sunday morning as that is the only day I get. I do consider people around me and living nearby so do it at quick as possible as it annoys me the noise aswell. I use the rotavator very rarely and only as I suffer from arthritic hips and knees which hinder digging. My machine is quite but some on site really don't care. I have been told about some who were strimming at 10pm and the locals living near havinga go at them. I don't blame as they have young children. But having read this thread I will be even more considerate now. I never strim before 9 30 am or rotavate as I do think of those living near by. We do have big hedges that may drown out some noise but if you live or buy next to an allotment then it only goes that there will be some noise.

Comment

I have pretty much the whole set. Rotavator, rotary petrol mower and strimmer! I am considerate though, I only use one at a time....;-)

Actually I push the mower to the plot with the strimmer strapped on top, I often do a couple of neighbours plots (old ladies etc. who struggle with the work) and the communal area if it's got long. Other people usually do their bits and help others too.
        The rotavator probably comes out 2-3 times a year if that. Right tool in the right application. Again spending 10 minets cultivating a piece of a plot for someone struggling is no hardship for me if I've got the machine out.
        Those of us that work full time must use the available time as we can, but thoughtful use of noisy equipment is a basic decency we should afford others.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          Are there any houses near your allotments?
          Yes there are local farms and you could call it a small hamlet

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            It would appear that Spunky is being deliberately controversial - I suggest we apply Spunky Rules and ignore them. We won't tolerate rudeness on here for long.
            I'm replying to the thread veggiechicken I'm actually the Person who offers to help others cut their grass or bring them pallets to make compost bins or offer to lay foundations for a communal storage shed
            I'm sorry for being a bit controversial and if you knew me I think you know I'm actually quite an easy person to get on with, I'm afraid I don't like sitting back and see every tom dick and harry slate anyone with a petrol powered machine like they own the allotment
            Maybe certain people on here should bear in mind that other people might be a tad busier than them and have to drag certain jobs in when they can tbh I find it rude that people have the cheek to think people are invading their space to work on their allotment?
            Last edited by Spunky; 23-05-2016, 06:00 PM.

Comment

I am going to close this thread to allow things to settle down a little, if my fellow Mods think it should be re opened then i will support their decision.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X