To Cage or not to Cage

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1Bee View Post
    Thanks guys. I think I'll try the watch and wait and collect net curtains.
    Don't forget clothes pegs to hold them in place as well.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      The mind boggles
      Birds seem to prefer red/white currants to black ones. I don't net mine but I have quite a few!
      Chap greenhouses come with a handlebar moustache and a pipe

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I want to build a fruit cage but it won't be this year so I will continue to protect locally. Birds round here will always peck every unprotected strawberry and strip red currants, closely followed by blackcurrants. Whitecurrants are left totally alone and I have so many raspberries I don't mind sharing.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

My Mum doesn't have to net anything in her garden bar the cherries. But she lives next to open fields with thick hedgerows so maybe there's plenty to forage.

I have to net on the allotment or lose the berries. I've got 2 set-ups made of dahlia stakes, bamboos and some soft green netting - Garden Naturally will cut it to order and it lasts incredibly well. Tent pegs at the bottom keep them taut. Total cost about £35 each. Pics are from last year, the bushes are A Lot bigger now!

I take them down and store in the shed when the berries have been harvested. Means the stakes will last longer too...

Attached Files
          Last edited by sparrow100; 29-04-2016, 08:14 AM.
          http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

My fruit cage (which doubles as a winter brassica cage) is made from leftover tent pole from a broken tent, the igloo style ones, stuck in the ground into blue plumbing tubing.

It's a little tricky to move, at least solo, but it's stood up to all the weather, and cost peanuts.

My jostaberry may be getting a little large this year (though at least the lazy *** is fruiting at last), so I may have to break a bigger tent.
            My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X