Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it feasible to have an allotment plot a long way from your home?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a similar predicament when I moved to my new house, which has a lovely big garden although it is quite shady and heavy clay. I had planned on giving up my allotment - which is much sunnier and sandy soil - but couldn't bear to! It is only a couple of miles away, but before I could walk to the allotment every day. Now I only go once a week. I am in the process of making it a lot lower maintenance - getting rid of a lot of the grass and planting a lot more fruit bushes and perennial veg. Also plan to underplant crops with green manures to keep weeds down. And my most exciting project is to plant a grape vine just outside the greenhouse and to train it inside, so I can make use of the greenhouse - planting it outside means I won't have to water it.
    So with a bit of planning I think you will be able to make a go of it, especially if you will be retired! Enjoy!
    Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes

Comment

The two plots i already have are seven mile away from my house and I visit the plots every day for to sort the chooks, so I'm quite used to fairly distant allotmenteering.

The more I think about it, the more determined I am to give it a go.

Even if I only stick it for a year, what have I lost?: , but a single years plot rent!

I've got plenty of time to do the planning and building work required so can't wait to get stuck in again. (Once my body stops aching!)
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Sounds really good Snadger and I am glad you are giving it a go!

It's interesting about the garden vs lottie thing.

We moved last year and I now have quite a big garden, front and back, plus veggie patch and greenhouse to disport myself in. People are usually surprised to find I've kept the lottie on but I wouldn't be without it - I love the garden, but the vibe is totally different. The lottie has a wilder self-sufficient feel to it, perhaps because we've no facilities down there apart from a tap, which is miles away from my plot. So I collect rainwater, pee behind the shed, have to take everything I need for the day. It is like camping. I'd say the community aspect is important - but I always love it when I'm the only one down there, which is usually!
        My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

I've just found £0.02 in the fluff of my pocket, so here's my 2 pennyworth.

Start now and make the plot low maintenance. Think about making the soil very full of organic material so it can retain moisture. HugalKultar might be just the ticket. Stockpile mulch materials for weed control and moisture retention and develope sources for things like cardboard and woodchip. Then use the plot to grow things in bulk like potatoes, Peas, Carrots, Beans.
          These will survive not being harvested at the peak moment and still provide a meaningful harvest.
          Also Fruit, set up some espalier wires/frames and have peach, pear, plumb, cherry, apple (cookers and desert). In 4-5 years they will be producing some good volumes of fresh fruit and you can freeze or bottle it too.

I'm not sure a 50 mile round trip once a fortnight throughout the summer is going to last too long unless you incorporate visits to family and friends etc.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X