No announcement yet.

Compost bins, how many do you have?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't layer either, if you are turning regularly it wont make a lot of difference. I have found that if the compost is too dry or too wet the worms don't work hard enough.

Handy idea to use a wheelie bin. I would suggest that any trench you use is wide and not too deep, it is a good idea. My father use to dig a trench for the bean row and throw all the old cabbage stumps etc. in the bottom and top up with farm yard manure.

Sounds like you are really into this and doing a smart job. I think you need more bins!

enjoy your gardening and take it easy over the christmas period for next year will be busy

regards

Bill

Comment

3 pallet bins here too.

They compost down quickly in the hot summers and make about one binful of ready compost per year.
      Only just enough for our needs.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I have made up 3 pallet bins at the allotment. Only one has some rabbit manure in at the moment. They have tarp around them to try and keep the heat in a bit. So one of them I am going to put clear plastic on and see if it will work as a cold frame.
        sigpic

Comment

I used to have three pallet compost bins at the allotment. It got too complicated and they rotted so I did away with them.
          Now I chuck all compost-able material into a big heap in the corner and when I want some compost I dig a hole at the bottom and get what I want............simples!

Why compicate things? The Americans spent millions developing a biro that would write in zero gravity, the wily Russians took a pencil on there space excursions!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I haven't got room for a sprawling compost heap on my miniscule plot! I have the tall square plastic ones as they have the smallest footprint and keep things tidy.
            He-Pep!

Comment

We have one dalek in the garden, it's full of worms and absolutely eats the green waste and cardboard I feed it, plus there's three large pallet bays on the lottie that are always in full production. The pallet bays do tend to compact and become sour (anaerobic) in the lower bits so I've recently filled a 12ft x 6ft x 2'6" bay with straw bales, leaves and rotting bark chips and will add green stuff as and and when available. I love making compost and would ideally like to make enough to go no-dig.
              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I have two dalek type bins, filling one then using the second
                Live each day as if it was your last because one day it will be

Comment

I have a big home made bin about the size of 3 pallets long and 1 palette deep. And 3 daleks. Think I need another dalek!

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                    I have a big home made bin about the size of 3 pallets long and 1 palette deep. And 3 daleks. Think I need another dalek!
                    You must stop collecting sheep sh1t...................
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                      You must stop collecting sheep sh1t...................
                      Why?!.........

Comment

Then you won't need another bin.................
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X