Growing all year round

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tiny Allotment View Post
    No. We don't really eat carbs so no spuds or bread or pasta or rice etc.

Paul
    What?....................No Chips?........No Mash?............No Roasties?.............No Crisps?...........
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

So no sugar?... No cakes, pastry, jam. I couldn't live without homemade jam.

Comment

I couldnt live without potatoes.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Although its not sowing now. Things for over winter are microgreens, pea shoots, bean sprouts. I have never been that good but I have read several grapes that are. Tubers for over winter yakon and fartichoke.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            So no sugar?... No cakes, pastry, jam. I couldn't live without homemade jam.
            Very little sugar so cakes pastries and jams every now and again but not regularly.

We have one day a week when we eat what we like but apart from that I try to avoid carbs.

We are not anal about it. We went out for a roast dinner at the weekend and I enjoyed the roast potatoes because they are now a treat instead of a staple.

paul

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny Allotment View Post
              Different things I think.
              Thanks. It gets so confusing with all the different names.

Comment

Modern farming methods have crops like carrots grown and left in the ground for winter and covered with straw then plastic to keep out the frost. To harvest a few fresh carrots, peel back the cover, lift what you want and put the cover back on. Fresh root veg in the winter without storage issues.

Dry cool stored fruit like apples are good. Early rhubarb forced. Mushrooms in the airing cupboard. Kale Chard and leeks have been mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by ESBkevin View Post
                  Modern farming methods have crops like carrots grown and left in the ground for winter and covered with straw then plastic to keep out the frost. To harvest a few fresh carrots, peel back the cover, lift what you want and put the cover back on. Fresh root veg in the winter without storage issues.
                  I just leave my carrots in the ground all winter with only enviromesh over them (which I have from sowin to avoid carrot fly damage), don't find any further protection required for main crop roots and even when they've been under frozen snow it's only the top inch that gets damaged but may depend on your soil type, mine is a big silty and doesn't hold excessive water.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X